Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 2350

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Braxton

Braxton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

Will do this evening! Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Braxton

Braxton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

Ok, tested with a volt meter and looked for the lights. I had overlooked the dia. lights last night, but they would not light up since there is I guess no power coming through the board or atleast the comp won't even think about powering on.

On to the voltage:

Yellow +12VDC tested @ +8V

Blue -12VDC tested @ -8V

Red +5VDC tested @ +2V

White -5VDC tested @ -2V

Orange +3.3VDC tested @ +1V

That was the results for the voltage. I tried to unhook some of the devices. It would only try to power one device and which ever one it would try to power, the led would just flash and it would just click on and off constantly while I was doing teh test. The fan would run though.

Edited by Braxton, 06 February 2009 - 09:36 PM.

#18 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:07 PM

That is pretty conclusive, you have a bad PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#19 Braxton

Braxton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:58 PM

Thanks, how does this one look?

http://cgi.ebay.com/480Watt-Power-Supply-D...%3A1%7C294%3A50

If I should be looking for something else just let me know, none of them seem real high for this model just want to be sure I get a brand that will be reliable.

#20 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:33 AM

I'm not familiar with that brand, and I'm leery of purchasing anything from ebay having had less than satisfactory experiences with them. I would suggest going with something like this Coolmax, it's a 400W with two 12V rails @ 14A and 15A. It's marked down from $29.99 to $19.99 with a $10.00 mail in rebate, shipping is between $7 and $10.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#21 Braxton

Braxton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

Thanks, new psu has me up and running.

#22 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:12 AM

Glad to hear it, what PSU did you wind up purchasing?

#23 Braxton

Braxton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

I ended up getting one from 911forpcs.com I don't remember the brand. It was rated at 400w, I kept checking the air from the fan last night and it never seemed to even warm up so hopefully it will last a long while on my outdated setup! Here is a link to the one I got.

http://www.911forpcs.com/dedi23posu.html

May go ahead and do a few more upgrades since it is running again, I am thinking atleast upgrade the memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users