Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad graphic card? Need help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Auroron

Auroron

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:31 AM

Please read the whole thread, and please post a solution! :smile:

Hello, I have posted here earleir about an artifacting graphic card. I eventually RMA'd it, and got a new one. It was all fine, until recently..

In World of Warcraft, I sometimes get a black screen, and I have to hard reset it. Also, white dots move along my character (Almost like jaggies when you don't have AA on, which I don't, but this time they are white, and only I have them).

In various other games, most notable in Trackmania Forver, I see a brown dotted line appearing between two textures, this makes it VERY distracting to play, as I see these lines everyhwere. (I can't remember this problem when I got my new card back in November)

Also, I sometimes the whole screen goes apebleep, and turns into 64 colours, complete with chessboard artifacting, and forcing me to do a hard reset (SEE ATTACHMENT)

So I am wondering, what is causing this? I have been wondering if it's high temps (Even tho every monitor software I have used said it was at under 30c idle, which is low), combined with uncorrect readings, bad card (Just a few months old!), or a bad/insufficient PSU.

Here are my specs:
-Corsair 550W PSU
-Geforce 9800GTX+ (Newest drivers)
-Asus p5n-d MOBO
-Intel Core Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHZ
-Corsair TWIN2X 5400 DDR2, 2048MB PC5400 *Two sticks*(Can bad ram cause this)

Thanks for reading, hopefully you can help me!
-Auroron

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:24 AM

hmmm could be any number of things, including the video card. its rare that you get 2 in a row that are bad, but not unheard of. the other possibilites that come to mind are, and keep in mind there might be more.

A: your power supply doesnt have the voltage/amperage to handle your video card and everythng else,

B: bad slot on the motherboard, I see your board is SLI compatible, put it in the other PCI express x16 lane and see what happens,

C: yes bad ram could cause that but i suspect it would have been doing this before u installed the video card. Im assuming you ran this computer before putting in the video card? if not try running it on a different card or the integrated card. or

D: your sound card. are you using integrated sound? and if not, did you disable the integrated sound card? I have heard of (never experienced it myself) integrated sound cards having compatibility issues, the answer to that is get an aftermarket sound card, and if you have one and you didnt disable the integrated one it can cause problems as well.

after making sure your sound card is installed right, I would then move your card into the other pci express lane and see what happens. also make sure all your slots are clean-no dirt or anything else in them.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Auroron

Auroron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

hmmm could be any number of things, including the video card. its rare that you get 2 in a row that are bad, but not unheard of. the other possibilites that come to mind are, and keep in mind there might be more.

A: your power supply doesnt have the voltage/amperage to handle your video card and everythng else,

B: bad slot on the motherboard, I see your board is SLI compatible, put it in the other PCI express x16 lane and see what happens,

C: yes bad ram could cause that but i suspect it would have been doing this before u installed the video card. Im assuming you ran this computer before putting in the video card? if not try running it on a different card or the integrated card. or

D: your sound card. are you using integrated sound? and if not, did you disable the integrated sound card? I have heard of (never experienced it myself) integrated sound cards having compatibility issues, the answer to that is get an aftermarket sound card, and if you have one and you didnt disable the integrated one it can cause problems as well.

after making sure your sound card is installed right, I would then move your card into the other pci express lane and see what happens. also make sure all your slots are clean-no dirt or anything else in them.

I recently cleaned my PC with compressed air, so it's not dust. And I do not have integrated sound card, but there is something wrong with my sound, seeing as it has problem doign voices (Avast! virus databse update voice, Microsoft sam, Ventrilo ETC) unless I plug in a headset.

#4 dmndmn

dmndmn

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

The Nvidia site specifies that the minimum stable wattage required to run a 9800GTX+ is 450w. I'm not so sure how much of the wattage the rest of the computer components take up but u might want to look into the PSU issue a little more. Hope this helps. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users