Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Start Up Files problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zkberg

Zkberg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:00 PM

I started up my Laptop computer on Thursday morning, only to find that the desktop has a two inch border on the outside of it. It is the same dimensions as Safe Mode, but it is not in Safe Mode. :thumbsup:

Also--the colors are messed up in some places.

The mouse doesn't work. I can tell it is loading because sometimes I see a tip telling what some button does or will get a horizontal two headed arrow on an application which has a sizeable border.

I have done the following:

Fixed a "Runndll is causing an error in MMSYSTEM.DLL error" which appeared.
Tried resizing the window in Control Panel.
Tried changing the driver.
Tried System Restore (apparently I was supposed to have created some restore points.)
Ran virus scan (it gets updated daily).
Ran diagnostics on the video driver files and they supposedly are working fine.

Everything works except for programs that will only run with a mouse or require a full sized window to work.

I cannot run my spyware program without a mouse.

I can get onto the internet.
I can retrieve e-mail.

When I reboot in Safe Mode, the mouse works and the screen colors are normal. The Window, of course, is still small, because that is how it is in Safe Mode. So, it appears that there is some problem in the startup files. But how do I know what has been added and what has been removed?

What next? :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:19 PM

Hi Zkberg,

I think this Microsoft knowledge base article will fix you up.

MS Knowledgebase 138835

I ran into the same problem as you... I was using Windows ME.

To get to the system.ini file described in the article, click on START - RUN - type in sysedit

Click on the window that says system.ini at the top. You will see sections in that file. Look for the boot section and follow the instructions from the article. It worked for me.

Then update Windows. Hopefully everything will be working again.

This fix applies to Win 95/98*Grinler
Also, Take a look in device manager and make sure you have only one device listed for display adapters.

Good luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:34 PM

There is also a chance that your display settings got corrupted. Have you opened Display Properties and checked to make sure that the picture in your desktop is set on "Stretch" rather than "Center?"

Did you check in Device Manager to make sure your video drivers don't have a yellow question mark or exclamation point? (Windows Key and Pause/Break key will open device manager.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users