Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 elomont

elomont

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:14 AM

I'm trying to assist a friend with an old tower. It runs Windows 98 and I'm trying to get it up and running.

However, the problem is I can't get to a usable screen where my mouse and keyboard will work. I can boot up using F8, select safe mode, but that just leads me to the blue screen with "safe mode" in all 4 corners. There are no icons or taskbar that show up on my desktop in safe mode. In other words, I can access the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu with the 6 choices of:

1. Normal
2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
3. Safe mode
4. Step-by-step confirmation
5.Command prompt only
6. Safe mode command prompt only

I have tried 3. Safe mode, but that just leads me to the blank blue screen I spoke of earlier.

Hopefully I'm being clear. Let me know if I'm not and if you need further information.

Thanks,

Elomont

Edited by elomont, 05 February 2009 - 08:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

OK, a bit of an update.

I've been able to select a previous registry point and restore to a point at which I can access the internet, have desktop icons and my taskbar is back. I receive some errors while loading, but at least I'm that far and no longer at just a blue screen.

I was reading through the forum under http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/. At step 6, after I download the icon onto my desktop, I proceed to click on the icon. I then receive an error message that reads:

Cannot find the file 'cmd'(or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

If it matters, this machine is running Windows 98 4.10.1998, Pentium II, 64 MB RAM.

I'm wondering if I should post this under the Hijack forum The same link as the one above) or keep it here? Any suggestions?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

I'm at a different computer for the moment. We have alternate methods when DDS doesn't work. I will post them in a bit. In the meantime, is the date and time in the lower right-hand corner correct?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for the response Garmanma,

I've checked it (it read the correct day Feb. 4th, 2009, but the time was off). I've reset to the current time and then restarted it to make sure it is still correct.

I have read in other forums about replacing the battery and I will pick one up tonight in my travels. I'm sure the old original one is just about to give up the ghost, if it hasn't already.

I was about to post in the Am I Infected? forum, per one of the other BC gods, but I think I'll stay put if you think you can help.

Elomont

Edited by elomont, 05 February 2009 - 01:36 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

Judging from the link you provided and mentioning step 6, I'm assuming that you are try to prepare a HJT log, correct?
I'm not sure how to go about preparing for that with 98. I shall ask and post back

Edited by garmanma, 05 February 2009 - 04:52 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

You are correct. I was preparing to run a HJT Log. However, if there is something else I should be doing instead of that, lead the way. I'll follow.

I'm in the process of leaving for the night. I respond to these posts through my own laptop or desktop. Since I have not been able to post a HJT Log yet, I'm currently running Spybot Search and Destroy on the old tower which is in question. So far, it has found CoolWWWSearch.Leftovers which appears to be a Hijacker entry. I just figured I'd let you know, if that matters at all.

The system has a bunch of quirks and error messages that come up as you go about trying to do things. I won't bore you with the particulars of each unless you want to know them. My goal is to get rid of all these quirks and then install virus protection, Adaware and SpywareBlaster. Three things so far that the computer will NOT allow me to do. I was able to download and install Spybot Search and Destroy without incident. Not so for the previous three mentioned. I'm also trying to get into Windows Updates, but am redirected to another web page. I'm assuming due to whatever problem we're trying to correct.

I'll log back on tomorrow morning or later tonight at some point to see if there has been any updates from you.

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

Cannot find the file 'cmd'(or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

If it matters, this machine is running Windows 98 4.10.1998, Pentium II, 64 MB RAM.

Win98 doesn't have a cmd its Command. Looking at that number 1998 its a Win98 original (first edition). If your friend really wants it up and running then I would suggest getting Win98SE of eBay and some more memory, at least 256Mb total. Then you can do a fresh install so everything is new. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download RSIT by random/random and save it to your Desktop.
Note: You will need to run this tool while connected to the Internet so it can download HijackThis if it is not located on your system. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding Rist attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
  • If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.
  • Click Continue after reading the disclaimer screen.
  • Leave the drop down box set to default: "List/folders created or modified in the last 1 month (30 days).
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Save the log file to your desktop and copy/paste the contents into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run.
If RSIT did not work, then reply back here.

----------------------------

If that doesn't work, please try this.

Please download runscanner.zip and save to your desktop.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called Runscanner (C:\Runscanner) and extract (unzip) the file there.
    (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
  • Double-click Runscanner.exe to launch.
  • Select Beginner mode and click Ok.
  • Select Do a full scan and save a log file (default is Full Scan) to start.
  • Please be patient and do not use your computer during the scan.
  • When the scan is complete, a window will open asking you to save runscanner.run. Click Cancel.
  • Another window will open asking you to save runscanner.log.
  • Save it to your desktop and "Save as type: Runscanner log file [*.log].
  • The log file will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Go to the top menu, click on "Format" and uncheck "Word Wrap" if checked.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the log file into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
  • Exit Runscanner when done.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If Runscanner did not work, then reply back here.

Edited by garmanma, 05 February 2009 - 07:54 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#9 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:09 AM

Garmanma,

Good Morning.

OK, no go on either attempt of RSIT and the Runscanner.

The RSIT does nothing after I double click on it on my desktop. It gives me a slight glimmer of hope with a quick hourglass, but then nothing.

The Runscanner, after double clicking on it in the folder that I created C:\Runscanner, gives me an error message of:

Error Starting Program. The C:\RUNSCANNER\RUNSCANNER.EXE file expects a newer version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows version.

Which leads me to this question, does that mean a completely new Windows version as Keithuk suggested or would downloading all the Windows Updates for the current version accomplish this error from rearing it's ugly head? A yes or no will suffice. This is to say when I can actually access the Windows Updates page!

Keithuk,

Thanks for the advice. I don't know if he's ready to go that route as of yet. Let's exhaust all other options and then we'll go from there.

Edited by elomont, 06 February 2009 - 09:10 AM.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

does that mean a completely new Windows version as Keithuk suggested

Yes, but you would have to upgrade to at least W2k. No one is really supporting 98 malware tools anymore. Here are a few:

Dr.Web CureIt
System Cleaner
AVG vcleaner
Norman Malware Cleaner

superantispyware free version:
http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE
---------------
trojan hunter

http://www.misec.net/products/TrojanHunterSetup.exe
-------------

stinger

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
-----------------------

You can try a regular HJT scan:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/to...ools/hijackthis
If you can get that to work, post the log with a note that you are using W98 and it's all you can get to work

Edited by garmanma, 06 February 2009 - 03:17 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#11 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

OK, well I made some progress since your last post. I went through the links you gave me and tried to download every one with the following results:

I was able to download Dr.Web CureIt, System Cleaner, AVG vcleaner, Trojan Hunter and Stinger:

-Dr.Web CureIt did find something the first time I ran it. However, I forgot to write it down. Sorry. Nothing was found on a subsequent scan with Dr.Web CureIt.
-On the first attempt at downloading System Cleaner it told me I had insufficient memory. I tried downloading it again and got it to run. It found, but failed to clean the PE_MAGISTR.DAM virus located in several areas of my computer.
-AVG vcleaner was very busy removing WIN32.Magistr.24876.
-Trojan Hunter found, or at least alerted me of, a possible problem with VSHWIN32EXE. It did read that no trojans were detected.
-Stinger came up with no detections.

I was not able to utilize the Norman Malware Cleaner or Superantispyware.

Some problems I was previously experiencing have disappeared:

-I can now start up in safe mode WITH icons AND a taskbar.
-Regular booting never gets "hung up" at certain points which usually would have normally required a CTRL+ALT+DEL shutdown.

However new issues have arose and old issues are still present, which include, but not limited to:

-Numerous Internet Explorer Script errors.
-Unable to access certain websites......Windows Update with a redirect to http://windows.mocrosoft.com/isapi/redir.d...D=windowsupdate.
-Still cannot access the DDS program at step 6 of http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ (Post 2) or RSIT or runscanner.zip (both Post 8).
-Again, I will gladly list them all if you really need to know.

To close, I was not able to use your last link to attain a regular HJT scan. I tried each individual download, Download HijackThis Installer, Download HijackThis Zip, Download HijackThis Executable, all with the same error message that read Error Starting Program, A required .DLL file, MSVBVM60.DLL, was not found.

As you've noticed I'm willing to try anything to troubleshoot, within my capabilities. I also know that sometimes it may just not be possible to correct everything wrong with such an old system without actually spending some money to upgrade it. If it gets to that point, let me know. I trust your judgment.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

If it gets to that point, let me know. I trust your judgment.

I'm sorry but you're at that point. There just are not that many tools for 98
I've asked HJT team members and those were the tools that they came up with for 98
Mark
Posted Image

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

You cannot post HJT logs outside of the HJT forum

You're going to have to post the log in this forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Edited by garmanma, 07 February 2009 - 09:20 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:05 AM

Hi elomont

Not sure if you got a log with HJT or not as I don't see it in the Misplaced HJT Logs forum although Garmanma's post would seem to indicate you did.

You can get around the error "Error Starting Program, A required .DLL file, MSVBVM60.DLL, was not found" by installing the vb runtime files available here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb6.../vbrun60sp5.exe

EDIT: I see that you figured that out but I'll leave that info in case someone is searching that error.

Those script errors you are seeing are caused by an old version of Internet Explorer so that needs updating. Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 is recommended for systems running versions of Windows prior to Windows XP. You can get that here.

Windows Update doesn't support 98 but all the updates are still available at the Microsoft Download Center.

Edited by Leurgy, 08 February 2009 - 08:26 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#15 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

Garmanma: I will copy and paste my last email in the HijackThis forum. Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow morning, since I see you removed it from this forum. No big deal. I will run it again tomorrow when I get home and post it under the Hijack This forum. Just to make sure I don't post it again....I looked back through the Hijack This forum around 9:15pm last night when you made your last post here and did not see my Hijack This log. I'm assuming you did not redirect my log there? A simple yes or no will do.

Leurgy: I did not post in the Hijack This forum yet. I'm going to do that as soon as I click Add Reply here.

You are correct. After snooping a bit, I found that same link that you provided for fixing the dll file error. I was going to post that bit of information just in case someone else had that same error, but you did it for me. Thanks.

I will not be back in front of that computer until tomorrow morning. When I am, I will update my Internet Explorer to 6 Service Pack 1 and also use that link to download any Windows Updates.

I did not know that "not supported" means that it won't even allow you to access the web page. I thought my problem was related to a virus that was redirecting me. You learn something new everyday. Some more than others. Thanks.

Edited by elomont, 08 February 2009 - 10:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users