Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Office 2007 Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nigeld_58

Nigeld_58

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:35 AM

Hi all,

I am currently experiencing a problem trying to use Excel and Word 2007. I am using Windows XP.

Whenever I try to open either of these programs they half open and just seem to hang. PowerPoint works OK.

If I go into the task manager I will see 2 instances of the program and they are registering as Not responding.

I have uninstalled Office then reinstalled it. All to no avail.

I think it could be a registry or a windows problem. I have 2 computers and I am experiencing the same problem on both. I recently used a registry cleaner (EasyCleaner) and the problem could have started after that. Not a 100% sure though.

I would very much appreciate any advice or assistance on this.

Cheers
Nigel

Edited by Nigeld_58, 05 February 2009 - 05:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

Hi Nigel.
Couple things to help narrow it down.
1. Open Excel and Word via thier executables in the office folder in windows explorer (winword.exe, excel.exe) rather then using the desktop shortcuts.
2. With Office closed, open a seperate word and excel file from within a folder to see if it launches the applications without hanging.
3. Click Start>run. Type winword.exe /s and excel.exe /s then hit enter or click ok. Starts them in safe mode.
Let us know.

Edited by HitSquad, 05 February 2009 - 09:42 AM.

#3 Nigeld_58

Nigeld_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:13 AM

Hi HitSquad,

Using windows explorer, within the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 folder I attempted to open word using the winword.exe file and excel using the exel.exe. Both programs half opened befor hanging and there were two instances of each program within the applications tab of the Task Manager.

I entered winword.exe /s into the Start > Run command line and word froze. Once again there were two Not responding instances of word in the applications tab of the Task Manager. I was unable to open a word document using windows explorer. However; when I entered the winword.exe /a into the Start > Run command line Word opened with no problems and I was able to open word documents using both Windows Explorer and the open command within word itself.

When I attempted to use both the excel.exe /s and excel.exe /a commands Excel froze on both occasions.

Hopefully this is what you were after.

Additionally, when I went into the applications tab of the Task Manager and I right click on each of the not responding word programs and select go to process one will take me to the winword.exe process and the othe will take me to explorer.exe process. I will always get one of the not responding word applications (usually the top one) taking me to explorer.exe even if I don't have windows explorer open.

Hopefully this makes some sense to you as it is a bit frustrating to me.

I appreciate your assistance and advice with this.

Cheers
Nigel

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:54 AM

Hi nigel.

However; when I entered the winword.exe /a into the Start > Run command line Word opened with no problems

The /a switch prevents any add-ins from loading. I'm starting to think you're right about EasyCleaner possibly removing a reg entry that Word is looking for on startup. The add-in possibly belongs to another installed app which the association to was removed. That would explain why a re-install does no good as well.
Run through this page for the Word problem. It's the "standard" Word hangs on startup diagnosis\fix. Note that "normal.dot" has changed in word 07. I believe it is "normal.dotx" now. I'm still using office 03. :thumbsup:
Excel's problem seems to be a bit different but it too may likely be looking for a reg entry that no longer exists.
Should you find it is a third party add-in causing the problem, removing\reinstalling that may cure both.
Couple more questions as well.
Did you have easycleaner create a backup of your registry?
Do you remember installing anything new just prior to this problem?

Edited by HitSquad, 06 February 2009 - 08:11 AM.

#5 Nigeld_58

Nigeld_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:13 AM

Hi Hitsquad,

Thanks for the response and once again it was very much appreciated.

I followed the link you provided and I turned off the add-ins in word07. I did this using the Word Options > Add ins > Manage function. Word now works fine. I think it was my Adobe Creative Suite program. I recently upgraded my adobe reader to versions 9. Not sure if that will throw things out of whack.

I am still unable to open Excel though. It tries to open in safe mode and just stalls. It also tries to do a detect and repair but to no avail. I uninstalled my Adode Creative Suite using the control panel > Add or Remove programs option. But still no luck.

Very much appreciate any advice you may have on this.

Once again thanks for your assistance so far.

Cheers
Nigel

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:44 AM

One down, one to go. :thumbsup:
Did you check the office12 startup folder and the Excel startup folder via windows explorer?
If there is nothing in them, particularly the Excel startup folder, I would check my excel file extensions commands next. It may be trying to open using an incorrect command line.
Via windows explorer, click Tools>Options>File Types Tab.
Select XLS from the list then click the Advanced button in the bottom right hand corner.
Select Open from that list then click the Edit button. If yours is different then the image below (besides Office 11 .vs Office 12 :flowers:), let us know what settings are.

Posted Image

Edited by HitSquad, 11 February 2009 - 10:51 AM.

#7 Nigeld_58

Nigeld_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:10 AM

Hi HitSquad,

Thanks for the response and once again it's very much appreciated.

The start up folder within Microsoft Office > Office12 is empty. I am unable to see an Excel startup folder.

I have attached a screen grab showing the folders I have.

Posted Image

I have also attached another shot showing the Excel Command extensions. To me they look the same as the one you placed up.

Posted Image

Once again thanks for your time and effort with this.

Cheers
Nigel

Edited by Nigeld_58, 12 February 2009 - 05:11 AM.

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:30 AM

Your Excel startup folder will be in a different location.
Look in C:\Documents and settings\your user name\application data\microsoft\excel\xlstart.
Or you could do a search for the xlstart folder. :thumbsup:

#9 Nigeld_58

Nigeld_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:33 AM

Hi HitSquad

I found the xlstart folder and it was empty.

Cheers
Nigel

#10 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

Just to make sure we don't have another add-in problem, Open Office and click the Office button.
Select Excel Options> Add-Ins tab. In the Manage drop down list, select Excel Add-ins click Go. Uncheck all.
Close Office and re-open excel. Still hanging?
If not, put the add-ins back one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.

#11 Nigeld_58

Nigeld_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:20 AM

Hi HitSquad,

I am unable to open Excel at all. When I try it does a detect and fix then when it does open it just hangs. When I attempt to open it again it tries to open in safe mode then hangs again.

I have other user accounts on the same computer and I tried opening Excel in one of those accounts and it didn't work. There was no problems with word.

Cheers
Nigel

#12 gem4

gem4

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

lovely!

that worked for me...
I've been browsing to check for a solution.

Thanks a lot!

#13 Nigeld_58

Nigeld_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:32 AM

I seem to have fixed the problem.

I removed Windows Live 3.1 using the control panel > add remove programs option.

Thanks to you all for support.

Much appreciated.

Cheers
Nigel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users