Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:36 PM
I just built a new machine and installed Windows 2000 Professional on it. (I hate XP.) Within hours, it began having all kinds of problems:
- Cut, copy, and paste stop working, and I can no longer drag files between windows to move or copy them
- "SVCHOST.EXE" pops up out of nowhere and tells me it's crashed
- Websites decide they no longer exist
- Programs--especially those I'd really like to run, such as REGEDIT and the Hijack This! installer, open their windows and immediately vanish
- No DOS programs--of which I use quite a few--work at all, and neither does the "NTVDM subsystem"
- My modem malfunctions
- My CD-ROM drive lags and/or freezes the computer when loading audio CDs
I installed Win98 and ALL the problems disappeared. I installed Win2K again and they came back. I downloaded Service Pack 4 and nothing changed. I'm ready to go back to DOS.
Anybody got any ideas?