Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Severe Static

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tiverty

tiverty

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:25 AM

So, for the longest time I have tried to voice chat over my computer. Be it in game, or through a voice chat application I run into problems with my computer. What happens is as soon as I press the hot key to talk, all people hear instead of me is bad static. Testing it out with my laptop, my mic's work fine when connected to my tablet computer, so the first puzzle is solved, my mic's work...

then I entered my tablet computer into a ventrilo server (ventrilo is a free voice chat software) and spoke on my desktop while playing a game. Well it turns out whatever im hearing in my headset is being transferred to my mic and to others. I thought I solved the problem. So I unplug the headphone jack and just leave the microphone jack in and talk. You still hear the game. Even though my desktop speakers are off and the headphone jack is unplugged. I decided to test my microphone in the game with the games microphone test and when i start the test I hear horrible static.

I go to control panel ---> Sounds and Audio Devices ---> Voice ---> Test Hardware. I follow through with that, the first part where you dictate text I speak and the meter bar moves just a little while the volume slider is at full. I go forward to the part where you talk and its played back to your speakers and the second any sound goes through microphone (usually my voice) it starts the same horrible static and just stays peaked at the top in the red and yellow zone. The catch is, it also does this when no mic is even plugged in!!

Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

One possibility: the microphone port is bad.
Are you using a sound card or on-board audio?

Another possibility: the static is caused by the mic wire being moved around while it's plugged in.
Plug your mic in. Turn on your speakers.
Where the wired connects into the computer, move it around.
You'll know if this is the case because you will hear it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 February 2009 - 11:58 PM.

#3 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

the mice wire fits snugly into the port and I have tested it like you said.

I have been told I have on-board audio.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:42 PM

Unfortunately I have no idea what the issue could be. The only thing I can think of is a bad port.
Maybe someone else will have another idea/solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users