Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New vector for malware distribution?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

You have to hand it to them, it's a twist on social engineering that hadn't been attempted to spread malware, that I know of anyway.

I had the opportunity to examine malware whose initial infection vector was a car windshield flier with a website address. The malicious programs were run-of-the-mill; however, the use of fliers was an innovative way of social-engineering potential victims into visiting a malicious website.

Several days ago, yellow fliers were placed on the cards in Grand Forks, ND. They stated:

PARKING VIOLATION This vehicle is in violation of standard parking regulations. To view pictures with information about your parking preferences, go to website-redacted

Source: http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=5797
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

Good grief!

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

:thumbsup: Agreed.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

Thanks Gal, Just have to add I am at least a little impressed that they are doing it the old fashioned way. Almost a door to door salesmen approach. But man they suck.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

Original and useful as wood stove starters. A first for malware "usefulness".

Posted Image

#6 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

:thumbsup: Hard core.
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#7 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

Here is another twist.
Had a colleague inform me that she received a text message on her cell phone under the guise that a "family member" had "pictures" for her perusal. The text provided a link to a rogue site! :thumbsup:
Regards,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#8 roc1911

roc1911

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

That is just amazing!
They are so clever in their deceitful ways.....
thank you for the info

Edited by roc1911, 02 April 2009 - 01:33 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
TO KNOW WHAT IS RIGHT AND NOT TO DO IT,
IS TO BE WITHOUT COURAGE........CONFUCIUS

#9 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

Paranoia is a reasonable state of mind when it comes to surfing the internet :thumbsup:
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#10 jimnor46

jimnor46

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

It's a shame that someone didn't catch the person distributing the fliers and stick the fliers in an "appropriate" place.

Oh, but to get my hands on some jerk that is writing some of these virus programs. Time in prison would be well spent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users