Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer buidling problem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gamebreaker04

gamebreaker04

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

Ok, I'm new to all of this so please be patient with me.

Basically, I think I got all the wiring done right after 2-3 hours of pain.

But now, the first thing was that the power was on but there was no picture on the monitor. Fans were running and everything. I try fiddling with the graphics card again (I wasn't exactly grounded at the moment, so I don't know if I fried it or anything).

Now, the power doesn't turn on at all. Any of you guys had this problem and know how to fix it. I only left it on for 5 seconds at most each time before I pulled the plug.

I really hope I didn't mess anything internal in those few moments I forgot to put a strap on. Either that or a bad power supply will be absolute hell for me.

Please, help me get through this...

A more minor problem is how to get the optical drive attached to the case. The manual says to mount rails on the side of the case, but I don't see any way of that working. Plus it says nothing about using the many screws I ended up with...

Edited by gamebreaker04, 04 February 2009 - 10:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

We really need more information, IE what parts you use, case, etc. etc. You also might want to take it apart (make sure your grounded) and double check everything to make sure theres no fry marks from when you messed with it from not grounding yourself. also, some PSUs have a little switch on the back by the power plug, its possible while you were messing around behind it that you could of flipped it to the off spot on accident which would explain why it wont turn on at all, but I doubt its ur video problem. So get back with us on what exact equipment your using and we can help you more. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

Indeed, we need to know exactly which parts you are using with your PC before we can offer any specific suggestions. I had a rail mounted optical drive, I had to screw the rails into the drive then slide it into the PC. There should be small screw holes on the side of the drive.

3939.png

#4 gamebreaker04

gamebreaker04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:06 PM

After watching a video, I got the optical drive on, but it doesn't line up well.

Anyways, here are my specs:

Intel Pentium E5200
Asus P5QL-E Pro
2GB Kingston DDR2-800
Sapphire Radeon HD 4830
Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB
Samsung SH-S223Q
Antec Sonata III w/500W PSU

Thanks for all of this by the way.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:22 AM

Im thinking it may be your Power supply, antec makes good PSUs yes, and the 4830 requires a 450 watt PSU, but theres more to a PSU then wattage, you need to have the proper amperage as well. its very possible you fried the power supply by having to much hooked up. Check on your power supply for the 12v rails, if its a single rail system you need more then 18amps on the one rail, im thinking you need at least 24-38 amps, if its a multiple rail system you probably need at least 18 amps on each of the main rails. If you have a way, Id try and test the PSU out and see if its still working or not.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:15 AM

The PSU in that case is a Earthwatts EA500 which has two 12V rail @ 17A, I don't believe that it was fried by an overload.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 gamebreaker04

gamebreaker04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:28 AM

If it isn't that, what else can it be?

Oh, maybe this might be important. Do I need to plug in the PCI-E wire from the power supply to anywhere? Maybe I need to add power specifically to my graphics card or something, but I don't see any place for that.

Would me also not attaching the optical drive correctly to the case the first time while still attached to the motherboard and psu have any effect in messing something up? I swear "mount the rails to the side of the drive" was something I could not comprehend for a while...

Also I accidentally touched the fans a couple of times while it was on (couldn't tell it was running or not). Maybe that did something?

EDIT: Okay, after moving the fan wire out of the way a little bit, the motherboard lighted up, and I was able to turn it on again. I don't think it's a PSU problem... Can someone possibly explain this...

Oh, and the fan of my graphics card isn't moving at all. I think I need to plug a power supply directly into it or something.

As for now, the graphics card is the main issue. What are some suggestions? I tried taking the graphics card out, but it was locked down by some lever on the motherboard. I didn't want to use much force, so I ended just putting it back in before I could do anything. Right now, I I just want some trick to taking it out and blow on the PCI-E slot or something.

Edited by gamebreaker04, 05 February 2009 - 10:44 AM.

#8 mollymoo

mollymoo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

Was the graphics card fan running at first if it was then you may off forgot to plug the cpu power in on your m/b

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

Did you plug in the six-pin PSU connector to the graphics card?

450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector.

In addition to the dual-slot PCI Express 2.0 graphics card was a 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCI-E power adapter.

Edited by dc3, 05 February 2009 - 11:15 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 gamebreaker04

gamebreaker04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

No, I didn't maybe that's my problem. I gotta see where that connector is though..

Okay, every time, I have to press the on button several times before the motherboard finally turns on. What's the problem there? I checked the power switch wire to the motherboard and everything...

EDIT: nvm, got it

Edited by gamebreaker04, 05 February 2009 - 11:30 AM.

#11 gamebreaker04

gamebreaker04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

UPDATE: Got to monitor to display! YES!!!!!!

Got an error message though. It says no Gate Express installed? Translate?

And sorry for the double post.

Edited by gamebreaker04, 05 February 2009 - 11:41 AM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

Express Gate is on the CD that came with the Asus motherboard, install you drivers as well.

#13 gamebreaker04

gamebreaker04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

Okay, I'll do that after installing Vista. Thanks for all the help guys.

#14 gamebreaker04

gamebreaker04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

I'm gonna double post so people can start gathering here again. Here's the new problem:

It was working fine and I was done installing all the driver cds and formatting my hard drive. I also installed a CD that came with a mouse and keyboard I bought. When I went to reset it, I must press something that I thought was the reset option on the start menu (it's Vista, so everything is rearranged). Now there is no picture at all.

And here I thought I passed the hard part...

Maybe it's a monitor problem. My last pc had no picture also and that was with the same monitor

Edited by gamebreaker04, 05 February 2009 - 03:17 PM.

#15 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

"Maybe it's a monitor problem. My last pc had no picture also and that was with the same monitor "

In order to determine what the problem actually is you need as many known good components as you can get.
If the monitor was not showing a display with your last PC & is showing no display with the new one then the monitor is suspect.
You need to get a monitor you know, or are reasonably sure, works right .
It's rather hard to fix a problem when you don't know if it's the PC or the monitor !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users