Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Self-installation for memory stick?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:21 PM

Okay. I need a little advice here. My computer's three years old, and I've never had a problem with speed ---- *until* s couple of months ago when I had a DVD burner installed. Now everything drags like you wouldn't believe, and I've decided to do a bit of a memory upgrade.

Right now, I'm running on 256 MB of RAM, but I'm planning to upgrade to at least 512 MB. Does anyone have any ideas on whether this should be enough, or do you think I should buy a 512 MB stick to boost it even more?

And my other question is this. I really hate dragging my computer off to a technician every time I want something done with it. How hard would it be for me to install the stick myself? Is it incredibly difficult?

Anyway. I apologize if this question is incredibly stupid, but I'm really curious about this. I'm tired of sitting around waiting while my computer decides when it's going to do what I want it to do.....

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

A memory stick, you just-stick. However, it is primarily for storage, and if you are not out of disc space, It will not give you any speed. More ram is your answer, and you can do it. The ram usually comes with pretty easy to follow instructions and usually snaps in place. A good site to see what you need is:www.crucial.com. They will scan your machine and tell you what you need.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:50 PM

*lol* Thanks for the correction there. I don't know why, but I was under the impression that "memory stick" was the correct term for extra RAM. *smacks forehead* Sorry, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff.

I've been told by several people that I should be able to install extra RAM in my machine with little or no effort, but I've been doing some reading on the subject today and all the talk about "grounding" and such has me shaking in my boots.

Anyway, I'm going to visit that site you recommended to see what they have to say.

Thanks again for the advice!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:00 PM

computergeek522 - that's a good illustration of why context is important when people ask questions here at BC - because there are often many terms for the same thing. I read your post and assumed you were talking about RAM, gunner did not.

"Memory stick" used to be (and still is in a lot of places) tech talk for a RAM module (or stick) but now the slang seems to be migrating to mean a USB flash drive, otherwise known as a 'pen drive', a 'thumb drive' or a 'memory stick'.

You do need to check your motherboard requirements to get suitable RAM, in some instances extra RAM has to match the existing RAM exactly. I've read the advisory robots do a good job of advising you what you need - post back and let us know how it went.

The grounding is no big deal - keep the RAM away from your clothing and don't walk around while you're in the middle of the process :
  • Shutdown and switch off but do not remove the power cord.
  • Take off the cover.
  • Hold on to a metal part of the case now and as often as you can during the entire process.
  • Pull out the power cord.
  • If there is a lot of dust around consider using a can of compressed air to blow out the RAM slot.
  • Firmly plug the RAM stick in and check it is secured by the platic tabs at each end.
  • Put the case cover back on.
  • Plug in and Reboot.

Right now, I'm running on 256 MB of RAM, but I'm planning to upgrade to at least 512 MB.

Great idea putting your system specs in your signature btw! By the looks of your specs 512MB should be fine. I'm wondering if there may be another reason for your slow system, try these basic maintenance steps - they may help:
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk:
    Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.

Edited by Rimmer, 29 May 2005 - 08:12 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users