Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple BSODs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

Folks...

I'm running into a series of BSOD's. I've literally had probably 20 in the last 24 hours. I had thought I'd solved it, but apparently not. I can't list all of them here, because "automatic restart" was apparently activated (not by me - perhaps a default from MS?), so most of them went by too quickly to note. Once I finally got the computer to allow me back in and figured out how to deactivate the automatic restart, I've tracked them.

The restart typically happens first at some random event - I'll be working and suddenly...BSOD! Once that happens, the computer will not restart completely. Sometime after the login screen appears (regardless of whether I log in or leave it sitting on that screen) it goes all BSOD on me again.Steps I've taken: checked physical disk for errors (this actually ran at least twice - seems the system didn't reset the variable, since it didn't boot all the way in). No errors. I ran RegCure, and fixed a number of errors in the registry. This seemed to fix things for a while, but then the cycle started again. I have started into Safe Mode a number of times, and have not yet seen the problem there.

I've run memtest86 (v3.4), and no errors showed up. BSOD immediately following, when I tried to log in.

Here are the BSODs I was able to catalog.

stop 0x000000BE tcip.sys Attempt to write to read-only memory (I think I've remembered the message properly)
-dump was off, so no dump for this one

stop 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
-have kernel dump for this, but no idea what to do with it (81 MB). Saved it, but decided not to save further ones (though the last one should be out there, too.)

stop 0x000000BE arp1394.sys - address b97b5ba9 base at b97b2000, datestamp 4802562a Attempt to write to read-only memory.

stop 0x000000BE arp1394.sys - address baa8bba9 base at baa88000, datestamp 4802562a Attempt to write to read-only memory.

stop 0x000000BE arp1394.sys - address baa8bbc1 base at baa88000, datestamp 4802562a Attempt to write to read-only memory.

stop 0x0000008E no details provided. (this one at the login screen when I chose to restart)

stop 0x000000BE arp1394.sys - address baaFbba7 base at baa88000, datestamp 4802562a Attempt to write to read-only memory.

stop 0x0000008E no details provided. (this one after restarting from Safe mode - not sure how far it got)

stop 0x0000007F no details provided. (this one after entering log-in info on normal mode)

stop 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (got this one booting into safe mode with networking)

Seeing that there are multiple BSOD errors, I'd have guessed hardware - perhaps RAM. However, since it's predictable (after it happens once) that it will fail during log-in (unless in safe mode), it seems more likely to be software related. Given the failure in safe mode with networking, it seems a lock that, whether software or hardware, it's something network related (it doesn't have a problem with safe mode without networking).

Any suggestions, since I can't add/remove (installer not available in safe mode).

-Gerry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

If you think it's networking-related...try uninstalling your NIC drivers (using Device Manager) and then try to boot. In fact, if you can get into the BIOS...disable the NIC...and then try to boot.

That will at least confirm/refute one possible source of driver trouble.

Very difficult to troubleshoot, following is from a very good website:

0x0000008E KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
This is a very common bug check. To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated. May also be reported as 0x1000008E.

Possible causes:
Hard disk damage or failure
Configuration problems with the BIOS, memory, hard disk, or other devices
Incompatible device driver
Incompatible software

You receive a Stop error message that resembles the following:

***Stop: 0x0000008e (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Stop error message on a blue screen when you transfer data to a USB device in Windows XP
When you try to transfer data to a USB (universal serial bus) device, you may receive an 8E Stop error message on a blue screen. You may see reference to the Usbser.sys file on the blue screen.

A "STOP: 0x0000008E" error message occurs when you change the hardware acceleration setting
When you try to change the Hardware Acceleration setting in the Display tool in Control Panel from None to Full, you may receive the following Stop error message in Win32k.sys: STOP: 0x0000008E (c0000005, bf875fc3, f07bcd48, 00000000)
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

You receive a "Stop 0x0000008E" error message after you resume your laptop computer
When you resume your laptop computer, Windows XP may stop unexpectedly (crash), and you may receive the following error message: Stop 0x0000008E

"STOP 0x0000008e" error message during Windows XP setup
When you install Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive a Stop Error message that is similar to one of the following while the Setup program is running:

STOP 0x0000008e

STOP 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

Additionally, if you troubleshoot by removing all unnecessary hardware devices that are installed on the computer, and then you run the Setup program, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following: Setup cannot copy the file Setupdd.sys.

Stop 0x0000008E" error message in Win32k.sys when you use the keyboard to access a program menu in Windows XP.
On your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you receive a Stop error message that is similar to the following: STOP 0x0000008E The Stop error occurs in the Win32k.sys driver. You may receive the Stop error when you use the keyboard to activate and control the menu items of some programs.

STOP 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0xBF869F22, 0xF9470688, 0x00000000)

A "STOP 0x0000008E" Error Message Occurs in Wdmaud.sys

A "STOP 0x0000008E" error message may occur in Wdmaud.sys.

Random "0x0000008E" Error Message on a Blue Screen in Windows XP

When you run Microsoft Windows XP, you may randomly receive an error message on a blue screen that references a bugcheck ID 0x0000008E (KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) error.

You receive a 0x0000008E Stop error message when you cancel a print job in Windows XP
You are using a computer that is running either Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition or Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition, and you print a document. If you click Cancel in the Printing dialog box, you may receive a 0x0000008E Stop error message.

STOP 0x0000008E error message on a blue screen and your computer does not enter hibernation or standby after you remove an IEEE 1394 storage device
You may experience one or more of the following issues after you remove an IEEE 1394 storage device, such as a CD-ROM or external disk drive, from your Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1)-based computer: When you put your computer into hibernation, you may receive a Stop error message similar to the following on a blue screen: *** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC00000005, 0x804EF844, 0xF89463FC,0x00000000)

When you put your computer into standby, the monitor turns off as expected, however the computer does not enter standby. The power indicator on your computer indicates that the computer is not on standby.

As you can see, quite varied and elusive.

Since your RAM has the "all clear" from Memtest...looks like drivers are primary suspects.

Louis

#3 Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

It appears to have been the Wireless card (Intel) driver. I disabled this, then re-enabled, and the result was consistent (okay disabled, BSOD when enabled). I uninstalled the driver, and it seems fine. I'll re-post if any changes.

Thanks for the help!

#4 Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

Spoke too soon. As soon as I reinstalled the driver and connected to a network (this seems to have been the initiating event), I got another BSOD: Stop 0x8E.

Any ideas? Does this seem like a hardware issue? I'd have thought this would indicated software (since the hardware was in use, but not connected, so the change upon connection is a software change).

EDIT: A bit of extra info...I rebooted, using the keyboard command to disable the wireless adapter, and haven't had a problem. Of course, this only works so long as I don't need my wireless connection. Since there's no good place in my house for a wired connection, this stinks.

Edited by Gerry Seymour, 05 February 2009 - 03:47 PM.

#5 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hi Gerry,
You did not state what machine you are using - is it a laptop with wireless built in or a usb dongle on desktop/laptop? Check Intel's website for firmware revisions/driver updates.

regards,
chameleon437

#6 Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:06 PM

Hmm...I guess I did leave that info out. I'm working with a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, with built-in wireless (though I've been far enough inside the case to be able to remove it if necessary).

I'm using the latest driver version available from Dell's support site, but I probably should go ahead and check for more recent s/w directly from Intel. I'll try that and report back later.

#7 Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

I found some updated generic drivers on Intel's site, and installed those. Seems to have fixed the issue (have that computer online as we speak). This finally allowed me to submit the MS error report, which came back with new information: seems this is caused by a conflict with my firewall or antivirus. Since I'd had some problems with ZoneAlarm's firewall recently (the antivirus had expired, so I'm using Avast! for that), I decided to play it safe and change my firewall, as well. I'm in the process of installing Comodo's free firewall. It's had good reviews from PC Magazine (looks equivalent in ability to ZA), so I feel safe with this one, and hopefully the combined change will avoid me hitting this wall again.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:07 PM

Well...if I remember correctly...it's a known that ZA causes problems on some systems (I can say that with personal experience documentation).

I'm always surprised that so many persons seem to use it, since there are a ton of firewalls available that do the job (including the Windows/XP firewall) and many users don't really seem to use the control features that 3d-party firewalls provide.

Louis

#9 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:48 AM

Well...if I remember correctly...it's a known that ZA causes problems on some systems (I can say that with personal experience documentation).

I'm always surprised that so many persons seem to use it, since there are a ton of firewalls available that do the job (including the Windows/XP firewall) and many users don't really seem to use the control features that 3d-party firewalls provide.

Louis

Hi Peeps,
I used ZA when it first became a rave. Currently my router (Netgear DG834GT) has a hardware firewall built in and I use the software firewall that came with Panda Internet Security 2008 which does a pretty good job. I am impressed with COMODO Security and use it on equipment not covered by the Panda licence. To Gerry, glad you got your problem sorted.
If you ever want to try Linux on your Dell Inspiron wait for the final release of DreamLinux 3.5 - its the first Linux distro I have been able to get Netgear client dongles to work without having to use 'bash' (a bit like Dos but different [better!]) as it uses a GUI instead of command line to set up wireless albeit using Static IP instead of DHCP.

regards to all,
chameleon437

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users