Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow but steady.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ryeguy146

ryeguy146

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

Why oh why? Okay, let me explain. I use a wireless connection, which I find to be fairly reliable. I can get upwards of 300kbps transfer speed when using Bit Torrent (Ports Forwarded properly), but I can't get anything across the web quickly. I just don't get it, my downloads will be zooming along, and even if I pause them, I have to wait over a minute for pages like Craigslist or Wikipedia to load, even if they have great ping response times.

If I do a nslookup of the domain, I get immediate results, I can ping the IP or domain and get excellent results. Tracert hasn't revealed anything to me, so I've no idea whats going on. I'm not using DHCP, but my DNS settings are pointed towards the servers that my ISP provides, I've also tried OpenDNS but no changes in speed. Email works fine too, just not webpages. I mean, they do EVENTUALLY load, but it takes forever and a day.

Any ideas? I've tried restarting the router, I've tried restarting my computer, I've tried restarting my network connection; all to no avail.

Details:
NIC: USB Belkin N
SOHO Router/AP: Actiontec (Aweful, I know, but it hasn't caused problems before)
IPConfig results:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : r3
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin F5D8053 N Wireless USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-DF-**-**-**
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.23
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.165.129.157

I can't think of any other details to post, if you need more, I'll gladly provide it. Also, this problem has started since I've moved in to my new place and I've never had a problem like this before. I have experience working with networking problems in the past (A+ and Network+ certified) and to me, it "feels" like a DNS problem, but I can't pin it down. Of course, I may easily be completely incorrect.

Edited by ryeguy146, 04 February 2009 - 07:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

In my experience, a DNS problem would manifest itself by slowing only the first page requested from a domain - once the domain name has been resolved to an IP address, the DNS system is not queried again as you navigate the site (unless the browser gets a bad request message), so subsequent page requests would be fast if this were a DNS issue.

Are you using AVG Antivirus or another application that has a web-shield component? I have noticed on some computers the Web Shield component of AVG and certain other anti-malware suites can drastically slow the rendering of web pages as they either wait for an external scanner to validate the file or as they pre-render the file for analysis (acting like a very, very slow proxy) before letting the page pass on to the browser.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#3 ryeguy146

ryeguy146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:50 PM

I am using NOD32, I'll try disabling it's WebSecurity feature. I don't know why I hadn't considered this as I've had many problems with Antivirus and software firewalls slowing my browsing in the past, just never NOD32. I'll post back when I find out if it's the problem.

#4 ryeguy146

ryeguy146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

I have a feeling that disabling the web protection has fixed the problem, again, I don't know why I didn't think of this. Thank you very much for your suggestion, InterestinglyAverage.

#5 ryeguy146

ryeguy146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

Okay, let me rehash, things have become better, I often have pages jump up at a faster pace, but I still have some unreasonable slowdown. This just may be something I have to live with, but if there are any other ideas out there, I'd love to hear them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users