Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista won't boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vmorris

vmorris

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

I put the 'System Mechanic'disk in the D drive, but didn't insert it. I had to finish something online, and did so, but then got an automatic restart! The D drive went in, and the system tried to reboot, but wouldn't. Gets to message "Press DEL to run Setup, Press TAB to display BIOS POST Message. "
No change while I:
1) restarted
2) tried to restart using original WIN VISTA 64 OS Disk that came with the custom system.
3) tried downloaded boot disk from winimage
4. called, emailed and prayed to Microsoft, but no answer or contact
Only thing I found online for somehting that might have been similar was a suggestion to remove the CMOS battery, wait 3 minutes, and restart.

Next???? :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

What message did you get when you tried to restart with the Windows DVD?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 vmorris

vmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:04 PM

I get the same message when I try to restart, no matter what disk I use, whether a bootdisk, the original vist64 os disk that I installed about 8 months ago. I've restarted many times, trying the DEL, TAB, F8,F2, etc. Tried holding key down as well as tapping the key when it starts to boot. Short time, <5 sec. between time power on and message is displayed. The only other thing that comes up is the monitor logo as the first image.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

I'd suspect one of three things:
- boot stuff messed up in BCD (run Startup Repair to fix)
- problems with the hard drive (run a diagnostic and run chkdsk /re)
- BIOS issues (try resetting BIOS to defaults).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 vmorris

vmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

How do I get into BIOS. Startup only gives the same message as above re: DEL or TAB action. What happens if I pull the SMOS battery and put it back after 3 minutes?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

"Press Del to run setup" - that should get you into your BIOS.

#7 vmorris

vmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

ok, it's fixed. As suggested, I removed and reseated the four RAM cards, and it rebooted perfectly. Thanks, all, for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users