Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 RUNDLL errors at startup

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 olivegirlac

olivegirlac

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

When I start up my computer I recieve two RUNDLL errors:
"Error loading C:\Windows\system32\yyavapje.dll the specified module could not be found"
and
"Error loading C:\Windows\system32\oqonxbyl.dll the specified module could not be found"

I ran a system scan using Norton and Windows Defender. Both said the system was working fine.
I am unsure exactly what the errors mean and how to fix them. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

Hello olivegirlac and welcome to BC!! :thumbsup:

Those error means the file is gone but the registry pointing to it to execute on startup is not. Let's remove the registry key.

We will do a regsearch as I now find it easier then running a batch script..

Download and Run RegSearch
We need to do a registry search.

Please download RegSearch and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract the folder regsearch onto your desktop
  • Double-click on regsearch folder and then find regsearch.exe and double click it
  • A Security Window will open please select Run.
  • The Registry Search window will appear please make sure under the Search everything is checked.
  • At the top of the Regsearch where it says: "Enter Search string (case independent) and click Ok..." please input:
Do one line at a time
  • yyavapje.dll
  • oqonxbyl.dll
  • After inputing the name, please click Ok
  • It will begin searching, once it is finished notepad will open with the log.
  • Please post the contents of that log in your next reply.
  • If more than one line was listed, then copy and paste the contents of that log before searching the second line.
    If you do not do this then the second registry search log will overwrite the second.
Note: If more than one line was listed do them one at a time and post the log one at a time. Do not run it more than once until you post the first log otherwise it will overwrite after the second time you run it

Post back with the log once it's complete.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 olivegirlac

olivegirlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Registry Search 2.0 by Bobbi Flekman © 2005
; Version: 2.0.6.0

; Results at 2/14/2009 6:34:21 PM for strings:
; 'yyavapje.dll'
; Strings excluded from search:
; (None)
; Search in:
; Registry Keys Registry Values Registry Data
; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_USERS

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"DllRunning"="rundll32.exe \"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\yyavapje.dll\",setvm"

; End Of The Log...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Registry Search 2.0 by Bobbi Flekman © 2005
; Version: 2.0.6.0

; Results at 2/14/2009 6:38:36 PM for strings:
; 'oqonxbyl.dll'
; Strings excluded from search:
; (None)
; Search in:
; Registry Keys Registry Values Registry Data
; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_USERS

"PrintDrive"="rundll32.exe \"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\oqonxbyl.dll\",setvm"

; End Of The Log...

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

Hello.

Okay, good RegSearch found the location where it's running from. I just wanted to confirm that in case what I thought wasn't correct.

Let's remove it and the error message should disappear. :thumbsup:

Backup Registry with ERUNT

This tool will create a complete backup of your registry. A backup is created to ensure we have backup so encase anything goes wrong we can deal with it. Do not delete these backups until we are finished.
  • Please download erunt-setup.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click erunt-setup.exe. Follow the prompts and allow ERUNT to be installed with the settings at default. If you do not want a Desktop icon, feel free to uncheck that. When asked if you want to create an ERUNT entry in the startup folder, answer Yes. You can delete the installation file after use.
  • Erunt will open when the installation is finished. Check all items to be backed up in the default location and click OK.
You can find a complete guide to using the program here:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

How to Restore from the ERUNT Backup
Only restore from the backups if instructed to, or you need to do so. You need it if after doing something, your computer will only boot in Safe Mode and you are unable to contact us (or anyone else) for help by other means, or if your computer will not boot into Windows at all.

To restore if you can boot, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\erdnt, choose the folder with the most recent date, and double click ERDNT.EXE. Check all boxes in the restoration options.

To restore from the Recovery Console using the Windows CD:
  • Turn on your machine with the disk in the drive.
  • Type in the number of the Windows installation you want to repair (usually 1), then press Enter.
  • Type in the Administrator password (leave blank if you are unsure what it is or if you do not have one) and press Enter.
  • Type without quotes "cd erdnt" followed by Enter.
  • Type without quotes "dir" followed by Enter. This will list out the available folders, whose names are the date on which the backup was taken in (M)M-DD-YYYY format. Try the most recent dates first.
  • Type without quotes "cd **name of the folder**" followed by Enter.
  • Type without quotes "batch erdnt.con" followed by Enter.
  • Type without quotes "exit" followed by Enter.
  • Remove your CD from the drive and reboot your computer into the restored registry. If you still cannot boot, try again with an earlier restore date.

Create and Run Registry Script
  • Copy the following into a notepad (Start>Run>"notepad"). Do not copy the word "quote".

REGEDIT4

"PrintDrive"=-

"DllRunning"=-

• Click File, then Save As... .
  • Click Desktop on the left.
  • Under the Save as type dropdown, select All Files.
  • In the box File Name, input fix.reg.
  • Hit OK.
When done properly, the icon should look like Posted Image for the .reg file.

Doube-click on fix.reg, you will get a warning saying something like: "do you wish to merge/add the following information to the registry?". Please say Yes. Next you will get a confirmation telling you if it was merged sucessfully.

Tell me in your next reply if the reg script got merged sucessfully.

Reboot, and tell me if the error message is gone or not.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 olivegirlac

olivegirlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

The reg script did merge successfully. I rebooted the computer and both of the error messages are gone.

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

Your welcome.

Let's run an online scan now.

Run Scan with Kaspersky

Please do a scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner.

If you are using Windows Vista, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select 'Run as administrator' to perform this scan.

• Please disable your realtime protection software before proceeding. Refer to this page if you are unsure how.
  • Open the Kaspersky Scanner page.
  • Click on Accept and install any components it needs.
  • The program will install and then begin downloading the latest definition files.
  • After the files have been downloaded on the left side of the page in the Scan section select My Computer
  • This will start the program and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while, so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete, click on View scan report
  • Now, click on the Save Report as button.
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.
You can refer to this animation by sundavis.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#7 olivegirlac

olivegirlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

Friday, February 20, 2009
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 version: 7.0.25.0
Program database last update: Friday, February 20, 2009 20:37:25
Records in database: 1822861

Scan settings
Scan using the following database extended
Scan archives yes
Scan mail databases yes

Scan area My Computer
A:\
C:\
D:\
E:\

Scan statistics
Files scanned 229205
Threat name 39
Infected objects 71
Suspicious objects 0
Duration of the scan 05:56:57

File name Threat name Threats count
C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoestb.dll/C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoestb.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.db 7

C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe/C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.en 1

MWSOEMON.EXE\mwsoestb.dll/MWSOEMON.EXE\mwsoestb.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.db 1

WinCinemaMgr.exe\mwsoestb.dll/WinCinemaMgr.exe\mwsoestb.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.db 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\1.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL/C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\1.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.ca 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL/C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.cu 1

java.exe\mwsoestb.dll/java.exe\mwsoestb.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.db 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\05830E6D.dll Infected: Trojan-Spy.Win32.VBStat.d 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\1A4078BD.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Virtumonde.ir 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\1B0C33DC.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Virtumonde.ir 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\201977AF.exe Infected: Trojan.Win32.LowZones.df 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\22AA1D37.exe Infected: Trojan.Win32.LowZones.df 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\34A333B3.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Virtumonde.ir 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\36C51F8C.exe Infected: Email-Worm.Win32.Warezov.oa 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\38301CEE.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Virtumonde.ir 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\3C6E420E.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Virtumonde.gen 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\4175326B.dll Infected: Trojan.Win32.BHO.g 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\46C13D2C.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Virtumonde.hb 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\565A6DBE.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Virtumonde.ir 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\594C3F1C.cla Infected: Trojan-Downloader.Java.OpenStream.y 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\684663BA.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Virtumonde.ft 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\6F5D4B12.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Virtumonde.ir 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\72C55E30.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Virtumonde.ir 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\72DC0416.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Virtumonde.ir 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\7B5B3EBD.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Virtumonde.ir 1

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\7B624BBA.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.BHO.w 1

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy Chapman\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\O1YVSXQR\Download_avi_mpeg_converter-trial[1].exe Infected: not-a-virus:FraudTool.Win32.SpyNoMore.ai 1

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy Chapman\My Documents\Amy's Stuff\screensavers\adcasw10.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.SaveNow.e 1

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy Chapman\My Documents\Amy's Stuff\screensavers\adcasw10.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.SaveNow.bl 2

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy Chapman\My Documents\Amy's Stuff\screensavers\adcasw10.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.SaveNow 1

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy Chapman\My Documents\Amy's Stuff\screensavers\disneyextremescr.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Gator.3013 1

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy Chapman\My Documents\Amy's Stuff\screensavers\macaroni.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.SaveNow.e 1

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy Chapman\My Documents\Amy's Stuff\screensavers\macaroni.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.SaveNow.bl 2

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy Chapman\My Documents\Amy's Stuff\screensavers\macaroni.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.SaveNow 1

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy Chapman\My Documents\Amy's Stuff\screensavers\turkey.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.SaveNow.av 1

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy Chapman\My Documents\Amy's Stuff\screensavers\turkey.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.SaveNow.au 1

C:\Documents and Settings\Amy Chapman\My Documents\Download_avi_mpeg_converter-trial.exe Infected: not-a-virus:FraudTool.Win32.SpyNoMore.ai 1

C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Chapman\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0LOV0DK7\newfunc[1].htm Infected: Trojan-Downloader.JS.Agent.dod 1

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\msimg32.dll Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.cv 1

C:\Program Files\Jimmy Neutron Invention Revenge\bfgt_silent_en.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.BHO.w 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\F3DTACTL.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.dn 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\F3HISTSW.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.eb 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\F3HTMLMU.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.cn 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\F3HTTPCT.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.ed 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\F3IMSTUB.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.cv 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\F3POPSWT.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.dd 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\F3PSSAVR.SCR Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.bg 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\F3RESTUB.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.cj 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\F3SCRCTR.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.ck 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\F3WPHOOK.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\M3HTML.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.cj 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\M3IDLE.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.ax 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\M3MSG.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.cm 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\M3OUTLCN.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.el 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\M3SKIN.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.ad 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\M3SLSRCH.EXE Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.cl 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\M3SRCHMN.EXE Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.ee 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.cu 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSOEMON.EXE Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.en 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSOEPLG.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.dc 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSOESTB.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.db 1

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\1.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.ca 1

C:\WINDOWS\system32\f3PSSavr.scr Infected: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.MyWebSearch.bg 1

The selected area was scanned.

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:09 PM

Hello.

Most of what Kaspersky detected was "not-a-virus" meaning it's not a virus but can be used for malicious purposes. I suggest if you do not need those screensavers or My Web Search Bar best to delete them and remove that via add/remove.

Then empty out all things quarantined by your AV. Alternatively you can navigate to this folder and delete everything in there: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine

Now, run ATF-Cleaner to remove those temporarily internet files etc...

Download and Run ATFCleaner

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune. This program will clear out temporary files and settings. You will likely be logged out of the forum where you are recieving help.

This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main Select Files to Delete choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browser also...
  • Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browser also...
  • Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Tell me how it goes and any problems you may still have.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#9 olivegirlac

olivegirlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

I removed all of the files and everything seems to be working now.
Thank You so much!

#10 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

Hello.

Great! Glad everything is better now. You should create a restore point and delete the older ones. :flowers:

Create a New System Restore Point<- Very Important

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok"
  • Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

Preventing Infections in the Future

Please also have a look at the following links, giving some advice and Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:
  • Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users.
Disable Autorun on Flash-Drive/Removable Drives

When is AUTORUN.INF really an AUTORUN.INF?

USB worms work by creating a file called AUTORUN.INF on the root of USB drives. These INF files then use Autorun or Autoplay (not the same thing!) to execute themselves either when the stick is inserted, or more commonly, when the user double-clicks on the USB drive icon from My Computer (Windows Explorer)...

Keeping Autorun enabled on USB and other removable drives has become a significant security risk due to the increasing number of malware variants that can infect them and transfer the infection to your computer. Read USB-Based Malware Attacks and Please disable Autorun asap!.

If using Windows Vista, please refer to:
"Disable AutoPlay in Windows Vista"
"Preventing AutoPlay with Local Group Policy Editor or AutoPlay options panel"

Note: When Autorun is disabled, double-clicking a drive which has autorun.inf in its root directory may still activate Autorun so be careful.

Vist the WindowsUpdate Site Regularly

I recommend you regularly visit the Windows Update Site!
  • Lots of Hacking/Trojans use the methods found (plugged by the updates) that have not been stopped by people not updating.
  • Update ALL Critical updates and any other Windows updates for services/programs that you use.
  • If you wish to turn on automatic updates then you will find here is a nice little article about turning on automatic updates.
  • Note that it will download them for you, but you still have to actually click install.
Update Non-Microsoft Programs

It is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector and Calendar of Updates.

Update all programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs you have installed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.
Finally, and definitely the MOST IMPORTANT step, click on the following tutorial and follow each step listed there:

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

Glad I was able to help and thank you for choosing Bleeping Computer as you malware removal source.
Don't forget to tell your friends about us and Good luck :thumbsup:

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#11 olivegirlac

olivegirlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:45 AM

Thank You!

#12 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

You're welcome!

Happy surfing and good luck next time! :thumbsup:

With Regards,
Extremeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users