Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removal of 'Troj/Rustok-N'

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brndn0422

brndn0422

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

I have a dell running windows xp. well lately it has been slowing down and not letting me do much of anything. i know what virus/spyware it is. it's 'Troj/Rustok-N' but what i don't know is how to remove it. i have tried nearly everything i found on the internet. i can't update my mcafee and my super anti-spyware can't detect it.

i read i should use another computer to to get the latest updates for mcafee and put them on a cd. (i have not tried this) i read switch computer into safe mode and run virus/anti-spyware. (i HAVE tried this) i read download spyware doctor and check for updates. (i HAVE tried this but can't update) well thats just a couple of things i have tried what else can i try?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 king-daddy

king-daddy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:56 PM

Take some advice from this old man who is cleaning 2-3 computers a week. These demon creators are getting "better and better" at making them immortal. Tools that worked last week may not work as well this week... and I am speaking only of the ones that can be found with the tools. Root kits are getting more common. As experienced as I am, every week I feel dumber and dumber.

The quickest and least frustrating way to handle this is to pull your hard drive, get an appropriate USB adapter and find another computer to use.
Locate and backup your personal Data (Usually in My Documents). You may need another USB hard drive to copy it to.

Then reinstall your OS from the recovery partition, CD/DVD or whatever you have.

Then the fun begins as you try to integrate your saved data into the fresh build.

Else find someone like me who limits charges to 3 hrs no matter how long it takes. Good luck on that one.

or dance in the appropriate discussion group here and be prepared to follow instructions explicitly. There is a LOT of really good talent here and valuable information here. You will learn a lot. Learn it well, because I guarantee you this will not be your last time.

#3 brndn0422

brndn0422
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:32 AM

well is there another way to fix this problem? i don't really have the option of using another computer and i can't afford to buy the things required for what you explained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users