Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Internal Hdd Transfer To New Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trichome

trichome

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:28 PM

I have a old Dell XPS M140 HDD with lots of my media about 2000 mp3's i broke the laptop but the HDD is in working condition
i want to know the cheapist way to transfer the mp3s to my new Hp laptop or what i would need to do it myself
or how much it would cost to go get it done. I know nothing at all about hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tambyte

tambyte

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

If you go on Ebay you can find external USB hard drive enclosure pretty darn cheap. I bought one and it has come in handy. Just put your old hard drive in it and connect it the the usb and the pc will recognize it as a Mass USB Storage Device and you can just drop and drag your stuff to your new pc.

#3 tambyte

tambyte

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:09 PM

I meant to add that you could also slave your old hard drive into your new computer if they both have the same connnections on them.

#4 tambyte

tambyte

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

Disregard my second post, most laptops don't allow room for more than one hard drive. I think the enclosure would be the best way.

#5 trichome

trichome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

Thanks thats probably the way i will go about doing it then
i could also use that as a backup storage device also im guessing?
Also how do i know what USB hard drive enclosure i will need?
it looks like you need different ones for different drives.

Edited by trichome, 04 February 2009 - 06:31 PM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

You will need one that supports the old hard drive and the new computer/laptop. According to a google search the laptop is originally equipped with a IDE HDD. You will need a case that supports IDE and 2.5 HDD. Depending on your new computer you will want USB2.0 unless you have an external SATA connection. You can find enclosures here.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 trichome

trichome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

I have a eSata cable port.
So i am going to purchase a Sata\IDE 2.5" HDD USB\eSata Case.
I wont need any additional Software to recover my files or will it just show up as
a drive under My Computer?
Also i want to confirm Sata\IDE and 2.5" HDD Usb\eSata Case is correct one because i dont want to
order the wrong one.
it needs to be
Internal Interface: IDE
the internal HDD is Xp media and my new computer is Vista it has a eSata port.

Edited by trichome, 04 February 2009 - 10:30 PM.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:01 AM

Thats the correct enclosure (just to make sure the HDD was in a LAPTOP right?). You will need SATA drivers for your motherboard at hand (the computer should have come with them). You may need to install these so windows will recognize the SATA enclosure unless your mother board has IDE emulation. If you have trouble getting windows to recognise the new drive post back and we can go through the set up with you.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 05 February 2009 - 06:02 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users