Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help accessing a certain File path

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Younube

Younube

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

Hello :huh:

currently Norton 360 has found a few viruses. Since its claims it cannot remove them on it own, i decided it would be best to just find the file that Norton said was a virus and delete it.

(BTW the virus is Trojan.Brisv.A!inf, just incase someone knows how to remove it)
I have downloaded tools on Nortons sites and followed steps suggested to remove these viruses, but they dont work :S.

Anyways, on to the point.

One virus is located in C:\ProgramData\Symantec\SRTSP\srtETmp folder. I follow the path but when i try and open that folder i get a message saying "You currently do not have permission to access this folder. Click continue to gain access with this folder." so i click the continue button, which has that little administrative shield sign beside it.
The User Account Control pop up comes and i hit continue to give myself access
Right after i get another message saying "You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access, use the security tab.

I would really appreciate some help as my computer was "owned" by a virus not even a month ago and i had to reformat. :huh:

Edited by Younube, 04 February 2009 - 06:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

hi,,, post your problem in the "am i infected and what should i do" in the security forum and someone will help you getting rid of your problem.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Younube

Younube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:04 PM

hi,,, post your problem in the "am i infected and what should i do" in the security forum and someone will help you getting rid of your problem.

The problem is enabling me to access a certain folder. I'm not looking for an fix for the virus when its already been detected. Im pretty sure Norton cant remove it because its outside its security protocol. Since following the steps suggested by Norton didn't fix it, im simply looking for a bypass of the security vista has enabled. But i will post it in that section as well. But im still looking for an answer on how to bypass the vista security on this folder.

Edited by Younube, 04 February 2009 - 05:09 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

There's a Norton tech who hangs out here and helps out with Norton issues.
I'd suggest contacting Norton, as messing with their security settings may break your Norton installation.
Another tech and I spent over 4 hours repairing a customer's Norton 360 installation - and we were lucky that we chose correctly (many, many times) when deleting stuff.

Here's a link to his profile: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showuser=168024

Edited by usasma, 04 February 2009 - 05:47 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users