Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting a second monitor help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OllieJay2k

OllieJay2k

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

I am currently using my tv as my primary monitor, however would like to connect the original monitor as a secondary. I know my graphics adapter can support 2 as it has 1 VGA and 1 DVI output although this is besides the point. My query is that i have another VGA output halfway up the back of my PC (not connected to graphics adapter as far as im aware) can this be used for monitor output? i would use the DVI but i do not have the correct cable or adapter at the moment. If the secondary VGA cannot be used for a monitor, what is its purpose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,972 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

It sounds like your system motherboard has onboard graphics. Some boards shut this off when a graphics adapter is fitted in an expansion slot, but seems most modern boards can use both. Onboard video usually has modest performance, but if you connect a monitor to that VGA port, look on the Settings tab of Display Properties and see if it allows you to activate the second monitor. If it's found, choose "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" and see how you go.

If the secondary video/monitor doesn't appear, check in the BIOS settings to see if there's an option to disable/enable the onboard video.

Edited by Platypus, 04 February 2009 - 04:43 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

Depending on your expansion cards interface you may not be able to "stack" the video outputs. This is usually done with on board and PCI or AGP. If your expansion card uses the same interface as your onboard they wont work together. What kind of computer do you have and what is the make/model of the expansion card?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

Youd have to play with the options to see if you can use the onboard as well as the dedicated graphics, however, why don't you just plug it into your video cards VGA connection, most video cards have a way to pick primary display and secondary display somewhere either in the the OSes display settings or the video cards settings if it has its own software (like ati catalyst control center)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

my graphics adapter can support 2 as it has 1 VGA and 1 DVI output .

i would use the DVI but i do not have the correct cable or adapter at the moment. If the secondary VGA cannot be used for a monitor, what is its purpose?

why don't you just plug it into your video cards VGA connection,

As the OP wrote above, he cannot "just plug it into (his) video cards VGA connection", because 1) His video card has one DVI output and only one VGA output, and 2) he does not have the correct cable / adapter required to convert the DVI signal to VGA use.

If the secondary VGA cannot be used for a monitor, what is its purpose?

The onboard graphics (located in that upper port) enables the computer to be used without a dedicated video card, as the motherboard has built-in graphics. Usually it is ideal for people who don't play a lot / no gaming. However, people who game tend to upgrade their system with a dedicated video card for better graphics. In addition this also frees up more ram for the system to use, as Integrated graphics uses the system's ram to allocate for their display.

As stated look in your bios settings to see if you can enable the on-board graphics to work alongside the video card. Note that by doing this, the system will need to allocate more ram to it, which in turn means less ram for Windows or whatever OS you're using.

Edited by funnytim, 05 February 2009 - 07:26 PM.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:19 AM

my bad misread it, but it seems they sell the adaptors pretty cheap.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

my bad misread it, but it seems they sell the adaptors pretty cheap.

Ya, I bought mine for under $5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users