Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing wireless connection but still connected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LeBoW120

LeBoW120

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hi all,

I'm having trouble maintaining my wireless connection.

I'm using a Belkin USB Network Adapter 802.11g to pick up a wireless signal from my Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL modem. The problem is that in the past few days, I've been losing my connection at random points with pages not loading at all. The thing is though, the internet icon on my screen says I'm still connected to the internet with signal strength being excellent as well. It'll only work again when I unplug the USB adapter and put it back in. I've tried logging on to my router and changing the channels (1, 6 and 11) but no luck.

I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

First, is the computer running Vista, XP, or what Operating System? I have noticed that sometimes Vista can be picky about resuming a connection when it is interrupted.

Second, next time you get dropped, try to ping the router from your command prompt, and try to go to the router through your web browser. This might give an idea whether the problem is being caused by losing your wireless connection, or by your router losing connection to the Internet, however briefly.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#3 LeBoW120

LeBoW120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for the reply IA.

I'm using a Windows XP OS. I'm not sure how to attempt the things you're suggesting but as a side note, I find that I can't even restore my computer to an earlier date. Could this be indicative of a virus or something?

Thanks.

#4 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

For the ping, press the windows logo key and "R" at the same time to open the run dialog, then type CMD and press enter to get the command prompt. At the command prompt, type "ping <domain>" where domain is the domain name you are trying to navigate to. Press enter, and your computer will try to convert that domain name to an IP address, and send small packets of data to the remote server. You should get a message like the following:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\interestingly_average>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [209.85.171.100] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=103ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=237

Ping statistics for 209.85.171.100:
	Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
	Minimum = 102ms, Maximum = 103ms, Average = 102ms

C:\Users\interestingly_average>

If you get any message other than this, such as "could not find host <domain>" or "unable to reach host", post back what messages you get.

Also, try going to the router's configuration page by entering the IP address 192.168.0.1 (usually) in your browser. This will tell if the problem is internal or external.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users