Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 darthlaw

darthlaw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:01 PM

I backed my system up on friday to zip drives. Over the weekend the computer restarted itself and now i can't get into windows. I get to a screen that ask me to insert a boot disk but I don't have a boot disk. I have tried to re-install XP Pro but the computer is not reading the disk. What can should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

Can you clarify what disk the computer is not reading?

Configuration of your PC? How long has the hard drive been in use?

Edited by czhang, 04 February 2009 - 02:09 PM.

#3 darthlaw

darthlaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:24 PM

The computer will not read the XP Pro disk to re-install. I am not sure what config the computer is and the hard drive is about 2 years old.

#4 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

If your computer cannot read the XP Pro disk (CD/DVD), it could be one of the following two reasons (and perhaps some other reason):
1. Your CD/DVD drive is no longer working.
2. You have a dirty or broken XP Pro disk.

First check if your XP Pro disk is dirty or not. If it's dirty, blow off any visible dust, then use some soft tissue moistened with just water to wipe the disk clean in a radial direction (i.e., from center to outer rim). Don't wipe along the tracks (i.e., in a circular direction).

Then, if you have access to another computer, try your XP Pro disk in that computer to see if it can be read there. If it can be read there, and your computer cannot read it, then it's a problem with your CD/DVD drive.

Edited by czhang, 04 February 2009 - 03:54 PM.

#5 darthlaw

darthlaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

The disk is working just fine. I need to know how to get around the bootdisk issue.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

<<I get to a screen that ask me to insert a boot disk but I don't have a boot disk. I have tried to re-install XP Pro but the computer is not reading the disk.>>

Well...that's not normal and it helps if we have an idea of all the info that appeared on this screen. Can you post it...or state the entire content without condensing, paraphrasing, etc.?

As for this attempt to reinstall XP Pro...with what media? MS XP CD...recovery CDs provided by a system manufacturer?

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical drive would be the first boot device?

Does your optical drive read any CDs/DVDs now?

System manufacturer...and model?

Louis

#7 amarkley

amarkley

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

I'm having the same problem and so is someone else in another thread. I find this hard to be a coincedence.

I fully understand this next quote as a reasonable explanation and would say the same thing if I wasn't sitting here:

1. Your CD/DVD drive is no longer working.

or

2. You have a dirty or broken XP Pro disk

But both are not true, I have confimed my XP disk and my CDROM are working perfectly.

Quite simply, the computer will not recognize my Windows XP Re-Install Disk during any type of reboot I have tried. In Boot Sequence it says "floppy not present". I can't even start my computer in Safe Mode to launch the CD. I hit F12 and it doesn't give me an option to boot from disk...it's just gone.

I switch harddrives and the same "floppy diskette seek failure" pops up, and then Vista launches fine. It's probably an easy fix, I just don't know where to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by amarkley, 05 February 2009 - 03:36 PM.

#8 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

amarkley: Have you tried what was mentioned in hamlius's previous post (#6):
Did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical drive would be the first boot device?

It seems like your BIOS was set to boot from Floppy drive first.

Edited by czhang, 05 February 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#9 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

To enter BIOS setting, you need to press a certain key that is displayed onscreen when the computer starts to boot. Some use Del key, some use F2, and still some may use other keys. Then you will need to go into "Advanced features" or something similar, then change the "Boot Sequence" from some sub-menu. Finally you will need to save the change, usually is F10. Then exit the BIOS setting and restart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users