Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus or Spyware?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GreenThief

GreenThief

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hello,
First, I want to say that this is a great site, lots of info and help. Next, I have something that I can't get rid of, ran virus programs, ran combofix and smitfruadfix (both great programs), manually removed files and so on. I have no clue anymore, I just though I would ask here if anyone knew anything before I wiped and started over. Here is a pic of one of the symptoms:

Attached File  logoff.png   4.18KB   15 downloads

If anyone has seen this and knows anything, please let me know. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hi GreenThief, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

I'm guessing that this is what you are seeing when you click on Start and then Turn off computer? Are you seeing any other anomalies?

If you ran these scans and didn't find anything I would guess that this is software related, try doing a System Restore to a date prior to this problem.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.
The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore, you may get the message telling you that you will have to restart your computer to start, click ok. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

I would also like to point out that ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Edited by dc3, 04 February 2009 - 12:03 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 GreenThief

GreenThief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

Thanks dc3 for the response. I tried that but it errors out. Have anyother idea's?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

Can you tell us exactly what the error states?

Have you looked in the Event Viewer to see what errors are showing up at these times.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users