Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 1363WLMi Laptop. No Picture.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:35 AM

This laptop boots fine on an external monitor but it's own display just lights the backlights and displays no image. I have bought a new screen and cable but it still has the same problem. The only thing that I have not changed is the inverter which does have quite alot of data wires going to it. I thought this only controlled the backlight though which does get brighter and darker at the right times when loading Windows and observing on an external monitor.
Could this be simply a bad connection on the motherboard or a dry joint? Just thought I'd ask for advice before stripping it completely.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Phill.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

Is it still under warranty? if so, ship it off and let them worry about it. It could be what you suggested or a bad spot on the motherboard, hard to tell though. In my exerience with acer laptops is that they have cooling problems and im always seeing motherboards burn out on them. Im not saying thats the case here, but Im not sure cuz Im not actually looking at the computer. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:55 AM

Thanx for the reply. It is not under warrenty, hence buying the new screen. I have just stripped it and cleaned the mobo which is not in any way burnt out. I have noticed though that the Nvidia graphics chipset is removable so I could try changing that although it is strange how it still works on an external monitor. The only other thing left is the inverter but the screen lights up just fine.
Hmmm...What a head jar!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:47 AM

If the external monitor works then it isn't the chip.

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:14 AM

Double check all of the wires running to the screen for pinching/binding/breakage/loose connectors. Don't rule out the NVidia chipset just yet.

Get in contact with tech support and see if they have an extended warranty/service program for your particular model. Some NVidia chipsets have been having problems and are being covered under extended warranties with NVidia picking up the bill.

Can't hurt to at least try.

It's not the inverter. All it does is step up voltage to the backlight.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

Thanks dpunisher, thought I could rule out the inverter. There is no warrenty and I have already replaced the screen and cable but the fault remains. All that is left is the motherboard and removeable Nvidia chipset. I'm going to guess and replace the Nvidia. Once I have done it I will post the results in case anyone else comes across this issue.
Thanks for everyones input.

Phill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users