Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why & How An Initial Post Should Be Made

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

Before I begin, I must say that all that follows is intended in the best interests of serving forum members, participants, and the casual visitor who seeks resolution of what is viewed as a "computer problem."

Earlier today, I received the following in a personal message (PM):

"when i start my pc it gives an error in blue screen &after restart pc it gives again .what should i do ?
error is

Technical Information
Stop: 0x0000008E(0xC0000005,OXBF9D8A6F,0XED8C9DA4,0X00000000)
SISGRV.DLL-ADDRESS BF9D8A6F BASE AT BF9D3000 DATESTAMP 3CC682B2

plzz help me
"

There are several basic points which this brought to mind initially.

1. What is the purpose of the forum and the procedures established for seeking assistance via the forum?

2. What is the purpose of a PM to any individual?

3. What is the proper procedure for seeking assistance re any computer situation which a person is beyond her/his own ability to solve?

IMO...that is the key phrase to remember here. This is what I think/perceive about the three points above.

The forum exists...so that the maximum number of persons with varied experiences, training, and abilities...can provide the best possible attempts to help those who feel that they need help. It also exists as a convenient method for providing a sharing of computer experiences on the WWW. It is a tool for learning, helping, solving problems.

The procedures established to allow the forum to run smoothly and efficiently are often not understood by those who believe that they require assistance. Why they are not understood...is beyond my understanding. I suspect that many of our posters never bother to read forum rules or interpret them in any light beyond what they perceive as a personal means of venting...a personal means of getting help...a personal end to a specific goal.

Many seem to get disgruntled at what may be perceived as a "lack of timely response." These persons think only of themselves, not realizing (or not caring) that the world (or the forum) revolves around their immediate perceived needs.

Many seem to think that there is a battery of forum members just standing by to solve their individual circumstance...there is and there isn't. The core group of any forum...are persons just like you, with personal lives interrupted by the same things which interrupt your life. This group is willing to help to the best of its individual abilities, with the understanding that the members/contributors who make up this group...changes from moment to moment.

The forum is based on voluntary participation, as time warrants that person's attempts to help. It is also based on the premise that no one person can know everything or solve every situation...the premise that unfolding the key circumstances behind a problem are best viewed by many, rather than one.

So members are asked to post "pertinent details" in the forum, where many heads can attempt to come up with a resolution and the probability of human error is somewhat minimized by the fact that the details of the problem...are open to public view. Many minds generate more ideas regarding a solution...than just one, especially so since that one mind may be distracted momentarily...may be unfamiliar with the circumstances of the problem...or just may commit the cardinal sin of humanity...make a mistake. There is no human being alive or dead who can legitimatly ever have it be said that he/she is incapable of mistakes, but posting in a public venue tends to preclude misguidance by one because the many are also viewing the stated circumstances and developing their own ideas of what solution might be developed.

Regarding PMs...my understanding is that PMs are not the way to conduct "forum business." When I receive a PM, I expect it to be derogator or congratulatory, informative (about non-forum business) or truly personal. I include those PMs which simply say "Thanks for helping me" to be among those which fall into the "personal" category because I know that some consider such to be "private" and they don't want to post such in the forum itself.

A PM should not be used to convey information that pertains to what should be "forum business." It should not be used in lieu of making an initial or additional post in the forum...it should not provide details which need to be viewed by all participants of the forum...in the pursuit of problem-resolution.

Some members respond to such or encourage such. Some members even solicit personal email responses re a stated problem.

I don't do that, I believe the best interests of OPs (original posters) are served when the many members/participants of the forum...can actively see what is suggested/recommended and (hopefully) understand why this or that is suggested. That enables all forum members to potentially learn a bit more than they might otherwise have possibly known...it also gives all forum members the opportunity to express their own ideas about a potential solution to the described problem.

There is a very good thread posted which is often ignored/overlooked: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/18366/before-you-post-about-a-problem/

I encourage all who would help...or be helped...to read it and understand what the intent is. If you take yourself to a doctor and all that you state is "I have a pain", I don't think that physician will be of very much value without diagnostic tests, various questions-and-answers, and maybe even consultation with other physicians.

So it is here...with the disadvantage that none of us can even do diagnostic testing on a given system which we don't have before us or within reach.

So I ask that each of you...try to keep my perceptions of these things in mind (not because they are mine but because I believe they make sense and will result in the best possible suggestions)...before or as you seek resolutions to computer situations you deem "problematical."

Thank you :thumbsup:.

Louis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users