Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Partitioning management

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:18 AM

hey all, I have a 500 gigabyte Hard drive, and I have windows vista installed on a 317 gb partition. the other partition is a 148 gig partition ive been using to play with different versions of linux, I used to have OpenSuSe on it. I recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 on it, and then decided to split this second partition and put Ubuntu on one and Kubuntu on a 10 gigabyte partition. This was easy to do with OpenSuSe, but when i tried to do it all it did was erase the Ubuntu and install the Kubuntu over the entire partition, and left me a ghost button in grub. I can fix the ghost in grub, but I want to know how to do this with Ubuntu-I know I can go through and partition it through windows, but that takes forever and involves totally erasing that partition from scratch. I have found Linux partitioning and formatting faster Im just totally unfamiliar with Ubuntu and there is no option to do it in the installation sequence.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

If I understand you, all you want to do is remove the erroneous entry in the GRUB menu. This is easily done.

The file you want to edit is called menu.lst and it is located in the /boot/grub directory.

FIRST MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF menu.lst!!!!:
cd /boot/grub
sudo cp menu.lst menu.lst-backup

Now, open menu.lst in you favorite text editor, here I use gedit (but you can use nano or pico or emacs or whatever)

sudo gedit menu.lst

You will see an entry for each operating system. Find the one which corresponds to the errant entry you want to remove. It ought to look something like this:

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
quiet
savedefault
boot

Put a # symbol in front of each line:
#title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic
#root (hd0,4)
#kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash
#initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
#quiet
#savedefault
#boot

The # symbol is GRUB's 'comment' indicator. Any lines which start with # are interpreted as a comment and are ignored. DO NOT delete the lines. If you make a mistake it's much easier to simply uncomment the lines than to reconstruct them.

Save and exit the editor. Reboot to see the changes.

If you are not sure which entry you should comment out, DON'T GUESS. Post the contents of menu.lst here and we can help you sort it out.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 05 February 2009 - 02:57 PM.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:53 AM

Andrew thanks for your reply, but my problem wasnt really with the grub menu, that was just an afteraffect, I have a supergrubdisk that can fix my grub menu in about 30 seconds. my question was how to make seperate partitions in ubuntu. I finally went into windows and used windows partitioner to create the partitions so I could load both Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and OpenSuSe on it (whenever it finishes downloading) but I would like to know how to do that within Ubuntu, so that next time I dont have to use the windows partitioner to do it. thanks for your advice though. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:23 PM

Modifying partitions? You'll want to install a partition manager then. I recommend GParted. It can be installed through Synaptic or apt-get (package name is gparted). It is a full-featured partition editor and is also available in LiveCD form.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

ok thanks. kind of a mute point, I decided to try the new fedora beta version, got it booted up, then didnt like its partitioning system so I cancelled out of the installation (before any partitioning was done) and it totally screwed up my computer. erased the boot files for ALL my Oses, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and of course my windows partition, messed it up so bad that when I tried to boot up and reinstall windows it wouldnt even let me do that. I had to boot up off the Ubuntu live DVD I made, and totally erase my entire hard drive and start over from scratch. so the good news is, i now have my hard drive exactly the way I want it. the bad news is? I gotta restore my computer to its former glory. bah FEDORA IS EVIL. lol.

picard5.jpg

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:18 PM

Sorry to hear that! But at least everything is the way you want it...

Now about your blasphemy against Fedora, the Great and Terrible...

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

lol well, granted it was a beta version, but still it will be a long time b4 I do that again, ill stick with Ubuntu and OpenSuSe. :D

picard5.jpg

#8 skullpeddler

skullpeddler

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

if you aren't scared of a little command line fdisk is always fun :D

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

fdisk wasnt working in the vista command prompt unfortunatly :thumbsup: didnt try it in the linux, but it wouldnt work in the vista one. neither would fxmbr (was having trouble with a messed up grub menu earlier)

picard5.jpg

#10 skullpeddler

skullpeddler

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

yeah fdisk is different in linux but still there. Just be sure to use the help commands so you know exactly what you are telling it to do... oh and you need to be root and there is no fail safes built into it :thumbsup: well last time i used it anyway.
Their are actually a few command line driven partition managers for linux. A quick google search should turn up exactly what you want.

There is also a GParted boot disk that you can use for offline partition management. http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:02 PM

I prefer Gparted. It's good. It makes me happy and I sing songs when using it. Not only does it manage partitions well but makes you a nice cup of coffee and a donut while you wait.

#12 skullpeddler

skullpeddler

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

Yeah its definitely a nice program. I have had the odd problem with it, but that was a while ago and i would say they have long since ironed things out.

Have you tried the Live CD version? I use it in my workshop sometimes. Better than trying to get around with some of the proprietary ones.

You sing well? :thumbsup:

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

Have you tried the Live CD version? I use it in my workshop sometimes. Better than trying to get around with some of the proprietary ones.

You sing well? :thumbsup:

I've used both the LiveCD version and the version installable under Linux.

I used to sing well, I was even in my school's advanced choir. But now I only sing along with my MP3's when no one's around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users