Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Slower than ever

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

I bought this comp for $2,672 in january of 2007, it was amazing at the time and I loved it. now it's a piece of bleep but it can't play the games it came with and was able to run perfectly at full graphics, even when I put it on low. well, it can't play them well, it works for 5 minutes then I get a 6 to 10 FPS for about 1 minute then back to normal then back to lag, etc. this happens with every game dating back to 2002 (Rome: Total War is the newest game I can play well) except for WoW, for some reason WoW has been untouched... it has been made BLATANTLY clear that my dad absolutely refuses to let me reformat so that's out of the question.... please tell me this is windows fault not user error. This is a recent epidemic, for I was able to play COD 4 4 months ago but can't anymore, I have defragged several times, used disk cleanup, cleaned temp internet files, uninstalled unused programs, updated video drivers, pretty much everything known to my knowledge, eventviewer doesn't show any internal hardware malfunction, haven't checked services yet, but I don't think that will do anything...

EDIT: Processor functions fine, used intel speed check and both cores show up at exactly what they should be, video card seems fine from a detection standpoint but I found something else in my device manager, SCSI and RAID controllers.... WTF?!?!?! I think it has something with the physics accelerator the comp came with but I can't be sure. no diagnostic on sound card yet, I've heard it can cause strange problems... gonna be performing search on this stuff for then few hours so expect edits but please feel free to answer

EDIT2: scratch the RAID controller, havent check on SCSI

EDIT3: WMI Performance Adapter..... maybe? it's disabled

EIDT4: I think that did it! if it stops working again i'll re-edit but as of right now, topic self-answered... lolz

EDIT5: scratch above edit, back to what it used to be, 15 minutes of peace, all in order to ruin my hopes and dreams..... I need to sleep, so answer this if you feel like it, if not I don't care anymore....

either explain this or give me a way to solve/a REALLY good reason to chuck this comp out the window and buy a mac (I HATE WINDOWS even it this isn't windows problem)

Edited by sausage, 03 February 2009 - 11:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:25 AM

alright, well my recomendation is run an anti-spyware program on it, if it turns up clean, download a linux boot CD, like Ubuntu, and boot it up off the Ubuntu CD, or even install it to a new partition of the hard drive, which is what I would do. If you still notice a system slowdown in linux (notice you wont be able to run your games in linux so run other programs that are also slow in windows) and see if you still system slowdown. If the system is still running slow under linux, then you have a hardware issue, if there isn't a system slow down then the problems windows-either a virus or a corrupt registry, which are both fixable via anti-virus programs or registry fixing software. AVG is a good free anti-virus software, however I dont know any free registry repair kits, but their normally not to expensive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

What kind of computer are we dealing with? Is it a Dell, HP, Alienware, etc.. Someone build it for you. What kind of components do you have? Processor? Video card? Memory? HDD SATA or IDE? Have you de-fragmented your HDD lately? Is your HDD Crammed full (less than 100mb left)?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users