Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 costerm

costerm

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

I use Firefox 100%, but I got bored one day and thought I'd test out Google Chrome. Unfortunately, I can't because I get a message saying, "Cannot download the application. The application is missing required files. Contact application vendor for assistance" when I run the installer. Thanks, Google. Brilliant. Anyone else have this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hello costerm I am wizzy and am happy to help you with the issue you are having.

I have just tried to install this application my-self and had a smooth installation so the only thing I can think of at the moment is you may of got a corrupted download, so what I would like you to do is delete the old installer you have on your desktop and to re-download the installer and try again.

As an extra note did you get the installer from the offical page?

Regards

#3 costerm

costerm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

Yes.

http://www.google.com/chrome

#4 vmorris

vmorris

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

Interesting!! I had problems with ie7 for a few days, and yesterday i installed google chrome and it works perfectly. Used the same site address you did. I also decided to look at Firefox, but when I went to their site and tried to download from them, I was given about the same message you received from Chrome! Still haven't gotten Firefox, but Chrome is still working. I have vista64 running a system using a radeon 4870 video card.

#5 costerm

costerm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

Wow, that is strange indeed...

Sorry Google, I take back what you said about you (sort of). I wonder what the underlying cause of this message is...

#6 vmorris

vmorris

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:14 PM

With my VISTA64 and IE7, WinFirewall, etc. I did have to put all operations in administrator mode, and turn off the WinFirewall and the 'user account control'. Another time I had problems with Sindows Defender kicking out a different 'registry mechanic' program I wanted to use to see what was going on in my registry due to problems with IE7 and something called 'demoshield' that comes with a lot of new games and programs.

Sorry I can't help more...I've been a MS user from the beginning, and usually had good luck. Within the past 2-3 years, though, it seems like I'm haveing to spend as much time massaging the MS software as I get to spend online. I have begun using backup files, though, so I won't lose much if I have to do a clean reinstall of some os, whether Sin or Linux or ????.

My problem is that I'm a user, not a computer whiz. Good Luck.

#7 wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:50 PM

Hello costerm

Well this is certainly strange so what I am going to have to do is start right at the bottom and work up which also involves asking some basic questions.
  • Did you try the uninstall and reinstall as suggested above?
  • Have you made any software changes to your system within the last few days prior to installing this application?
  • Have you had any other problem installing any other applications?
Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 05 February 2009 - 06:51 PM.

#8 costerm

costerm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

Hello,

I could not have uninstalled, because I was never able to install the software in the first place. I have never had issues installing any other programs.

#9 costerm

costerm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

Okay, I was able to obtain a good installer from another site and it worked fine. Not sure why the one from the actual google.com/chrome site didn't work, but oh well. After about 5 mins I have concluded that Chrome actual has pretty solid performance in terms of speed. The lack of options/plugins/extensions is a bit disappointing...

Thanks for all of your help on the issue of installing it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users