Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dobber1978

dobber1978

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

Don't know if this is a windows issue, I think it might be a hardware issue but I don't know.

I will try to explain all that has happened so far.

The other night i left the computer, turned on as usual, when I went back the computer would not respond, I could move the mouse and the little arrow on the screen would move but i could not open the start menu, could not do an alt-ctrl-del, could not reset.

I gave it the hard re-boot, you know the one where you hold the power button until it turns off, waited 10 seconds and then turned it back on, no windows. Turns on, starts to boot up then halts, I can get into the BIOS and the boot up menus but no windows, even when trying in safe mode.

So the first thing I am thinking is that maybe it over heated, maybe it's dirty inside, pulled the one cover and it's not looking too dirty, CPU fan is still turning, maybe it's not heat but I still give it a couple hours and try again, nothing.

So now I am getting a little stumped, thinking maybe it's the hard drive so I go into the boot up and change it to boot off of CD, put in my backup CD and try to boot here, it starts to boot up but then halts again.

Still no windows,

I have tried to remove one piece of memory at a time and no boot, tried booting from a winXP cd and still no boot.

I have since contacted the manufacturer and they are recommending that I pull the plug, hold the power button for 30 seconds and re-try, I am going to try this but I don't really have high hopes hence the post here.

Sorry for the drawn out post, tried to get as much info as possible in here.

Let me know what you think, I will repost once I try the manufacturers suggestion.

Thanks
Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

May be of some value:

No POST - No Video - http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007050376.shtml

Test Power Supply (Post by Sneakycyber) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/181415/computer-doesnt-start/

Louis

#3 dobber1978

dobber1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

ok,
so i tried the manufacturers test and nothing, i have tried to test the power supply as the above post suggested, seems to be working, the bios has a voltage measure in it and all values seem to be within tolerance.

My computer as it sits has 2 hard drives and a dvd burner,

I have tried to remove both hard drives and the dvd burning, I installed an old hard drive that I had laying around, I don't know if there is anything on this drive or not but if I boot from it it freezes at the same spot. I am starting to think it must be a motherboard.

Does anybody know if there is any items loaded from the motherboard? It seems to start loading stuff but if I am able to switch hard drives, to one that has not been used for years and it's freezing at the same spot I would have to think it's freezing before it even starts to look at the hard drive.

Thanks
Jeff

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:55 PM

OK...if you can get into the BIOS and boot menus...have you tried Lask Known Good?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

At what point does it stop loading?

FWIW: Installing an old drive which does not necessarily contain an operating system...is not productive. If it doesn't reflect the O/S for that particular system...it's (again) not conclusive of anything. To get anywhere, the system needs a hard drive with a bootable O/S on it.

Did you change the BIOS boot options before attempting to use your CD?

What is a "backup CD"? Do you have a Windows install CD?

System manufacturer and model, please?

Louis

#5 dobber1978

dobber1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

The system is an acer T180, bought late in 2006.

I tried the last known start up and nothing.

The backup CD were the ones I had to make when I bought the system, the are boot-able but will not start up this computer,

I also have a winXP disk, if I try to boot from this it starts to go, basically loads a bunch of drivers and stuff and as soon as it says starting windows it freezes.

Thanks

#6 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

I think this is probably caused by a hardware problem (mostly likely a bad motherboard). Years ago I got a new PC, but it was acting funny when arrived, and it turned out that the motherboard was bad and the PC had to be sent back to have the motherboard replaced.

The other possible reason is that the MBR has been messed up. Is Win XP the only OS installed on your hard drive? I was trying out multi-boot during the past few weeks involving XP, Vista, 7 Beta, and Ubuntu. Sometimes the MBR was messed up, and I could not boot any of the previously bootable OSs. In one or two occasions, I could see the Windows XP logo, and then nothing. I once used GAG boot loader to repair a unbootalbe XP Pro hard drive, and luckily I was able to boot into XP Pro again:
http://gag.sourceforge.net/

Edited by czhang, 04 February 2009 - 09:23 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

Well...I believe that I would have run a diagnostic on that hard drive by now...I'd like to eliminate it from suspicion.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

If the hard drive checks out OK, I'd try running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console of that Microsoft XP install CD.

Louis

#8 dobber1978

dobber1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

So I ended up bringing this machine into a local computer shop, they tested it out and the motherboard tested bad,

Guess it's time to find a new motherboard

Can anyone recommend me to a inexpensive motherboard that I could use to replace the Acer one? It is a AMD chip, sempron, want to reuse the CPU and RAM, all DDR2.

Also if I replace the motherboard with an after market board will my acer software still work? The local shop said that it wouldn't and I would have to buy new, not really an expense i want right now.

Thanks

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:59 PM

"Inexpensive" isn't very precise, varying depending on how much one has in the wallet or accessible by credit.

How much are you willing to spend for a replacement board?

As for the Acer software...if you have Acer install XP CDs, then you ought to be able to reinstall from that. Most of us don't have Acer systems and have no way of knowing just what your CDs are for or how they work. Hence "ought" rather than "can".

Louis

#10 dobber1978

dobber1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:11 PM

I am sure there is a good reason why most of you don't have acer computers, probably something to do with the problems I am experiancing right now, lol, it's what I get for going cheap and I just won't learn,

I am looking to spend 50-100, that's it, if I have to spend much more I am better off getting something that's not an Acer,

The software, how to explain, the computer did not come with anything in the software department, the manual tells you to make backup CDs as a first thing to do, they are bootable, I am assuming that if I ever had to use due to bum hard drive I would have had to just install the new hard drive, put disk in drive, and presto, the system is the exact same as day one. Who knows and I guess I never will due to my motherboard bumming before the hard drive.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

FWIW: Actually, I do go cheap...but I don't buy "brand name" systems, preferring to put together my own from components.

From what I see, that's a socket AM2 board...so you can take any AM2 CPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813138133

The above includes CPU, heatsink, & fan...reduces potential for error.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users