Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Developing a development environment

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hey folks,

I'm finding that the sort of stuff I want to do now (use and test php 'on the fly', develop small servlets etc etc) requires a pretty fundamental increase in the type and complexity of the apps I'm using. It's a bit of a quantumn leap from static web development to dynamic, or so it seems. I'm sure it's the same for many others (at least I hope so, either that or I'm just not too smart!)

I just wonder if my approach is right or if there is a better one. I'm currently using XAMPP, Netbeans and I'm looking at installing a Glassfish server (for the servlets)

Problem #1 I'm not entirely sure I can use XAMPP and Glassfish together. Logic says if one is running and the other isn't it's not a problem, but I can't find any details that explicitly say one way or the other. It certainly looks like I'll need both.

Problem #2 Security - I've closed the basic loopholes as per the documentation, but I'm no expert. Is there other stuff I should be looking out for, or ways to test my own security?

I thought it might be useful to get a thread going on this kind of 'transition' in development and see what people think.

Can amateurs really make it in what seems to be the realm of the web-pro? and is there a best way to develop your development environment?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:54 PM

Getting a java server to work with Apache is painful, unless you you use one on port 80, and the other on port 8080 or something. If this is just for development purposes, that is the routew I would take. You cna not have them both listening on to the same port. Apache needs to get the requests and pass the pertinent requests to the server. My last server had Tomcat with Apache, and it took me weeks to get the connectors working properly, and then a while longer to get the rewrite rules so that the proper domains went to the proper server.

Ummm... Netbeans should have Glassfish with it already, assuming that you are using 6.1 or better.

and is there a best way to develop your development environment?

Huh?

#3 webrat

webrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for that groovicus, I managed t get Tomcat and XAMPP working seperately pretty well - as you said, the port issue was a key part of it.

Still I couldn't get Tomcat to work with Netbeans 6.5 (It's not bundled) although it will happily pick up PHP work done on XAMPP, even while I'm doing it in Notepad. The Plugin just doesn't seem to register Tomcat and I have no idea why tbh.

This is the sort of issue I mean when I ask the question 'Is their a best way?' Obviously some apps are robust and will work as part of a 'system' better than others. Some require a 'fully manual' install and integration. I just wondered if others had a 'tried and tested' method for doing it.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

Tomcat is deprecated. Well, I don't know if it is actually deprecated, but since Sun dropped their Application Server, Netbeans is bundled with Glassfish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users