Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG tweak tried?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

I recently tweaked AVG 8 to disable resident shield. The move was to free up CPU resources, while gaming. The change most definitely makes a great difference in system stability in that respect, for my under powered CPU. But even the author of the mod. mentions its a trade off between performance and security.
The problem originally, was that I found the (large by my 1.2g standard) CPU drain, and went into AVG settings to disable Res. Shield. By unticking the box. I then would run process explorer and see RS still in operation as other progs. where active. Seemingly unable to shut it down , I tryed to test again by closing AVG. The prompt comes up asking if I'm sure and I close it (yes). Then ran process explorer again, to find RS still in operation behind the scenes. Well I gave up, until I found the tweak the other day.
The tweak seems reversible, but I'm left wondering to what extent I have jeopardized the security of the system AVG is meant to protect. It seams that, captures of tracking cookies are no longer real time and as noted resident shield is no longer looking at every thing thats in operation.

The tweak for AVG was found in Tweakguides Tweaking companion for XP (pg50) (ver.4.2)

Under resident shields settings. AVG/tools/advanced/resident shield/advanced/ there are a few settings, that I was wondering if put to use, might diminish the system drain. Maybe not to nil like the tweak, but noticeably?

Do you know of any setup guides that deal with Resident Shields advanced settings. With perhaps suggested directory exclusions and such, that may make it less of a real-time CPU draw ?

Edited by PCwarrior, 03 February 2009 - 10:26 PM.

(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

I was able to reverse the tweak today. After searching some links on the subject, I figured safer, was better. In the advanced settings for Resident Shield, I found a file path ignore, kinda setting profile, where you select progs. you don't want R.S. watching. So I added game files there. After testing (looking with process explorer & AutoRun ) I found that R.S. didn't seem to find as much interest in the apps as before.

best wishes.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users