Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 unclemarine

unclemarine

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

I just had a WD Caviar SE 360 GB (N: drive) install by a local PC store (very reliable). It was piggy-backed with the existing 40 GB (C:) drive that has only 3.8 GB left. I asked the technician if I could uninstall several programs, Links golf game, Kodak Easy share software and several others from the C: drive and install them in the new N: drive. He said that they would not work in the N: drive they need to be installed where the operating system is installed. The new N: drive, he said, is for files only. I have a Dell Dimension #2400 with the following drives;
A: 3 1/2" Floppy drive
C: 40GB internal drive
D: CD drive
E: DVD-RW drive
G: External (My Book) 250GB drive
N: New 360GB internal drive
What's your take on this?
unclemarine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

Programs do not need to be on the same drive as the OS. You can install them anywhere. The installation program will write the necessary Registry entries to point windows to the system files. However should you need to reinstall your OS you will still have to reinstall the software since deleting windows deletes the registry file and windows has no Idea where any thing is without it. Your best option is if you do not have a hard copy (cd/dvd) save a copy of the Install shell to the Program drive in a back up folder this way if you need to format your Os HDD you can reinstall the program from your back up folder.

Edit: I just upgraded to a 250 gb SATA drive. Prior to this installation I had 3 HDD installed, a OS drive, a Program drive, and a back up drive. There were files everywhere. I installed the HDD's in my other computer and windows still found everything. I did luck out that the drive letters ended up the same and the OS drive originally came from that computer.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 03 February 2009 - 08:37 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

I would simply move anything that wasn't basic (O/S, programs, My Documents folder, etc.) to the added drive.

There is nothing gained by storing data, document, video, and music files...on the C: partition.

Louis

#4 unclemarine

unclemarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

Thank You Sneakycyber and Hamluis for your quick responce. When the tech guy told me this I didn't think at the time it made much sense and you guys confirmed same. Thanks again!
unclemarine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users