Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FTP Server behind a router

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CMack

CMack

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:30 PM

I have a US Robotics 8054 wirelessG router and I am trying to set up an FTP server for a couple of friends.
For some reason, they cannot connect and I assume it has something to do with the router. Neither had a firewall up at the time.

I tried using BP FTP server and Cerberus FTP server. They tried connecting with CuteFTP and WS_FTP.

I am running Windows ME and have had a server before, but it was when I wasn't connected with a router.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. If you need more information, feel free to ask.
if you want, we can chat on MSN. I'd like to get this sorted. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:46 PM

Is it through the Internet to your computer? You would probably use a DMZ.
See the link for DMZ info here.
JC

#3 CMack

CMack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:07 PM

i read that.. I don't know if I quite understand what that means... The DMZ description did nothing for me... I guess i'm stupid.

But yes, the friends are trying to connect to me over the internet.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:45 PM

Question: What is DMZ?

Answer:

DMZ stands for Demilitarized Zone. This feature allows one IP address to be exposed to the Internet. DMZ allows only one computer to be exposed when multiple TCP/IP ports need to be open. If you want to use DMZ, you must set your computer with a static IP.

In a way, you are bypassing the whole purpose of using the router, however since you asked the question, I will attempt to answer it with of example of why I used it once.

I had a client that needed to be able to run a Videoconference on his computer. To get him working, I set up a static address on his computer, along with the router address and subnet. I used an address that was not going to be dynamically assigned because of the number of computers connected to his router. Obviuosly, if you have 2 computers connected to the router -eg 192.168.1.100, and 192.168.1.101, I knew that I could safely use 192.168.1.110 as his static address.
On the router, I programmed in 192.168.1.110 as the DMZ address . When the client tried to connect to him by Videoconference, he used the ISP assigned address, that was forwarded to his DMZ address and he could connect.
---------------------------
Your steps:(you will need to substitute the right IP values in from your manual)
On your computer, you need to set-up the static IP address, Default gateway, subnet mask.

On the router, you need to type the static IP address that you set up on your computer into the DMZ section of your router configuration.

After that, tell your friend what IP address that the ISP assigned to you, and hopefully he/she will be able to connect if everything was done correctly.

Good-luck, and post regardless of the result.

Joshuacat
JC

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:40 PM

For your router, the settings would be:

192.168.123.xxx, replace the xxx with an appropriate value that you want to use as a DMZ.
Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0
Router is 192.168.123.254

You can double check the Subnet Mask and the Router address by using IPCONFIG.

Double check with your manual to be certain that the values I gave you are correct.
JC

#6 CMack

CMack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:03 AM

Hey, thanks for the help! Problem Solved.

Pretty much bang on. had to set up a static IP and then set up a virtual server in my router settings. DMZ would've likely worked too.. Thanks Again!

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:07 AM

That's great! Thanks for posting your result. I didn't have the virtual server as an option on the router I used. Happy ftping
Joshuacat :thumbsup:
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users