Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small Business Networking

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MWolsky

MWolsky

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

I am trying to set up remote access for a small business. From what I'm reading, Microsoft Small Business server is one of the only ones out there. Am I missing something or is that my best bet?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

ok, maybe i will learn something too.
remote access for? maintenance? access files?
XP if that is what you are using comes with "remote desktop connection" .
what about VPN?

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

hey MW this is interesting
http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/2005...ection_rdc.html

#4 MWolsky

MWolsky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

Basically the owner wants to be able to access all files from remote locations. Desktop access is not enough as (correct me if I'm wrong) the computer has to be left on for that? They travel for up to a month at a time.

So they want access to all documents and to be able to save remotely to a central location.

#5 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

If all they are looking for is a central file server that can be accessed remotely, they may be better suited with a simple file server. It will be a lot less expensive and should be easy enough to secure. In addition, Western Digital sells external networkable hard drives (MyWorldBook) which can act as a file server and be accessed from off site.

Windows SBS does offer these capabilities, but it also offers a lot of additional administrative capabilities, and is more expensive.

Bear in mind, however, that if any of the files on the network contain customer (or business) financial information, security has to be a priority, and a more secure, comprehensive solution such as SBS would be more appropriate.

Edited by InterestinglyAverage, 03 February 2009 - 05:25 PM.

The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

thats good interesting. what software do you need to access the file server? from outside.
and mw the computer controlling internet access and the file server have to left on.

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

that drive looks great, and local computer can be off(i stand corrected) file server on plugged into router.
still have to find out about outside access and security. gone to read manual ................

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

looks like you will need a static ip address from your isp to access from the road.
do you have one MW? and is this a viable solution. cost of that drive is $300 usd. software to access drive comes with it.

#9 MWolsky

MWolsky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

How would I know if I have a static IP? And how would security be? I know she is very concerned with security. There would be financial records and personal information that will have to be accessed.

As far as the router goes, she uses a standard Linksys Wireless G router--would that work or would we need something bigger if we went the file server route? Am I right that the basic difference between that and small business server is that it only holds files, not programs?

I'm trying to learn as I go here, can you tell? :thumbsup:

#10 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

If there are financial records, I would probably err on the side of overzealous security. You can get a home file server for about $650 from HP (Media Server) which will automatically backup all of the networked computers and allows for remote access. Another option, which is more secure but also more expensive, would be to get a Windows Small Business Server. This will give you centralized e-mail through an Exchange server, as well as remote access to your e-mail account and a secure method of accessing stored files. You can get around the need for a static IP address by subscribing to a dynamic DNS service.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users