Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 SKU's announced

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feature...n=Top%20Stories

Microsoft declined to announce pricing at this time.

Edited by usasma, 03 February 2009 - 04:51 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:29 AM

It feels like they're going back to the XP lineup.

I like how they're optimising it(or at least it sounds like it), for hardware that isn't new, unlike Vista which went full out for new systems, and even overboard for some of the computers it came out on.

Seems like they're learning from their mistakes, and going back to tried and true methods.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

Altogether, MS will put out 6 versions of Windows 7:
Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Home Basic, Starter, and Ultimate.

I think only the Ultimate version is necessary for personal use, and the enterprise version for business use.

I am trying out 7 beta ultimate 64 bit version now, and it seems increasingly likely that I will stick with XP Pro due to software incompatibility issues.

#4 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

I'm not sure I like this;

we will offer Windows 7 Home Basic, only in emerging markets

So those of us in the developed market can't get our hands on the cheaper version? Discrimination. I'm not sure the EU will like it! Fines again for Microsoft!

I had Vista Basic installed on my laptop but scrapped it in favour of Server 2008 (I got it free - legitimately I should add) and apart from Aero there was no reason to upgrade to Home Premium (if you can even call Aero a reason lol). I didn't need Media Center et. al.

EDIT: and just for anyone who might suggest "starter" its OEM released only and I'm guessing for low spec hardware - so, again, I would not fit the critera

Edited by Casey_boy, 08 February 2009 - 10:31 AM.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#5 soloman

soloman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:13 AM

I think it should better use windows vista.

#6 Wolfnet

Wolfnet

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

Can't wait to see how it runs on a netbook. If its faster than XP I'll consider it.

Really though, XP is great and they shouldn't abandon it when so many people like it and would more than likely continue to purchase it.

But money talks.

#7 tokeno

tokeno

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:42 AM

I have been using the windows 7 beta from the beginning and it has had a few issues like was already stated about some of the compatibility problems .But with all new os things like that are needed to be worked out hopefully cause over all it works well on my system but time will tell if the 7 will be removed and xp pro will remain my home and work OS.
Tokeno
A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one.
Benjamin Franklin

#8 helpmeplease377

helpmeplease377

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

<script>alert("test")</script>

#9 Grandpa Jim

Grandpa Jim

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

I've been using Windows 7 for some time now and to say that I'm impressed is quite an admission. I got the early commercial pre-installed version of Vista and it was a late Alpha version, not a release version at all. The beta version of Windows 7 was more stable than the release version of Vista.

Here are some things I like about Windows 7.

It runs on almost anything. I put the beta version on a pretty old Fujitsu Notebook, and aside from some drivers that were outdated, it installed and ran without a glitch. I did have a problem with my wireless, but like I said, this is a pretty old computer. The release version was able to find usable drivers so that problem was resolved.

The system footprint is so much smaller than Vista's that there really isn't any comparison. Consequently it runs fast. I can't do a direct comparison to XP, but in my estimation it is probably pretty close. Where Vista would take two pots of coffee and a TV movie to reboot, Windows 7 has rebooted before I can return with the first cup of coffee. At first I thought it was still hung up waiting to shut down, but then I realized it was just waiting for me to enter my password and continue.

Networking is unbelievable. Where Vista would take its own sweet time connecting to my network, Windows 7 connects almost instantly. The new homegroup makes local computer sharing almost seamless. In a nutshell, it works. Another lesson learned from Apple. (Windows, by the way, was "borrowed" from Apple who "borrowed" it from Xerox - just don't try "borrowing" from Micro$oft...)

Right now I'm running Window 7 on two computers. My HP Pavilion dv6000 series laptop and an el'cheapo Compac Presario. I connect to the Internet via Wireless N with the Compaq through a VPN so I maintain my US presence even while I'm not in the US. I connect my laptop through the Compac using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) when I need to use the VPN. Otherwise I also connect through the wireless. While there may be some slowing down using ICS, it really isn't noticeable and I do play an online game that requires the VPN.

I know there are a lot of Micro$oft bashers out there, and believe me, I have been at the forefront more than once. For you old timers who can remember, my background is CP/M--something the young bucks probably never heard of. I've been through every iteration of Windows and I used Unix (not Leenix--the proper way to pronounce Linux) since it was a pure geek operating system. In those days a "hacker" was someone who worked to make programs smaller, faster, and more efficient. Today the watchword is bloat. The bigger the better. Requires more hard drive space, more memory, faster systems, and more money from the consumer. Yea for corporate profits. But that's the way life is.

Perhaps this time Micro$oft has done something close to right. I'm using Windows 7 full time and will probably buy the release version when it finally comes out.

:huh:

Compac Presario, AMD Dual Core 2.30GHz, 3 GB RAM, 114 GB Hard Drive
HP Pavilion, Intel T2080 1.73 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 111 GB Hard Drive

#10 neofito

neofito

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

Just A question, Does it will be possible to upgrade to Vista to Win 7. or not. I bought a one 17" HP notebook and I like what you explain here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users