Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD - Is three partitions possible?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

I just bought an external hard drive, LaCie 750GB USB only drive, pre-formatted NTFS. I have installed it and run the setup wizard, so it's ready to go. I have XP Media Center edition.

I would like to set it up so I can back up my PC and two laptops, one laptop with XP Pro and the other is Vista (Pro?), I would also like to save some space to back up music, pics, etc. as well.

Is it possible to do this? If so, how?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

sure, in XP use disk management (right click my computer --> manage). you will probably have to delete pre-installed partition and then create the ones you want.
if you want to keep pre-installed partition you will need partitioning software that will shrink the pre-installed partition then create new ones with remaining space. Gparted will work.

as always: before messing with partitions back up everything of importance on that disk

#3 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

Okay, so would I need to create one partition for each computer I want to back up and then one more to store other stuff that I want to save?

Also, what's the best method to back each machine up to the HD?
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

you shouldn't need a separate partition to backup to unless you are trying to clone the drives of those machines. you should be able to backup to a folder. windows backup creates a single file.

i am kind of in the dark here but i think what you want is a program that will create a backup of your important files (not the os) and when updating the backup only adds the new and changed files. is this right?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

GParted Partition Manager - http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Partition Manager - http://www.ranish.com/part/

Free programs that will allow changes to partition sizes...I have never used either, I have a paid version of Partition Magic 8.0 which I use for such.

There are other such programs, just use Google and the phrase "partition managers".

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users