Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard manufacturer question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

I have a PC desktop which has a motherboard with some expanded capacitors and needs to be replaced. I think it is an atx, but don't know how to identify the manufacturer in order to replace it. Can anyone help? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:33 PM

atx has 20 pin connector (2x10) where power supply connects to motherboard

there must be some markings on board to identify manufacturer, at least some numbers if not a name. get out magnifying glass and google the numbers you find

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

First, is there a manufacturer or is this a "White Box" as they call them. If is a major manufacturer, it should have a model number.

If it is a white box, open the case and look for any identifying marks. They are usually screen-printed on the board in White. Sometimes near the CPU and sometimes between a couple of PCI slots.

Any info can be googled and may bring us back the correct info.

OR, you can download SWI.exe and run that. It will list your motherboard manufacturer. It is available here:

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

or Everest, available here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Good luck.

DR

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

If this is a non-working computer and you cannot find the info anywhere, sometimes you can trace it through the FCC number printed on the board and looking it up here:
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for the replies
This computer was built by a local computer company who is now out of business. It has an AMD64 processor running at 1.8 MHZ. I am pretty sure it is an Atx. It has a P1 power connector, 2 - 184p ram slots, a cpu socket 7 (I think) with fan on top. The MB measures approx 8" x 8". There are several numbers and letters, but the only thing that looks like a manufacturer is: CE FC next to the modem board. Also there is a sticker with "QC17" over a FQC logo close to the processor.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

ATX is now a industry form factor, with the motherboard this pertains layout including the rear connectors.

If you have decent soldering skills you can remove the caps and take them to you local electronics shop and they should be able to provide you with replacement caps. Use a pencil soldering iron, not a soldering gun. When you remove the caps pay attention to the polarity, this article shows the most common ways of identifying the polartiy. The motherboard will also have indications of the polarity, usually either a + or half of the silkscreened section under the cap will be a solid color indicating the positive lead.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users