Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GRUB Error 15, Serious Problem, HELP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EvanMiller864

EvanMiller864

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

I've got one serious problem with an old laptop of mine.

First off, let me list some key details:
Old HP Laptop, originally designed for Windows 2000 or 98 (so very old)
Bought from friend of dad with XP installed
No CD drive, only floppy and older USBs (not 2.0)
No floppy drive on my main desktop xP

Ok, here's my problem: after getting a Live disk of Ubuntu Intrepid Ibek (8.10), I immediately loved it and wanted to install it to use. I decided to put it as a dual boot on my laptop because A) Partioning my 250 GB desktop would be a bleep, so I chose the 20 GB laptop instead, and :thumbsup: I thought I'd make some use out of this old laptop. I read tons about how to install without a disk, and it seemed east and I was confident in my ability to get the dual boot going. After getting the install ready to go and during it, of all things that could happen, the power, that decides to kill power if it is even tapped, gets bumped and the laptop loses power. I originally don't panic, but when I turn the laptop back on, I get GRUB error 15 and I can't boot into XP or Ubuntu.

I have tried booting GParted and Super Grub Disk from a flash drive to no avail. I don't want to format the hard drive (however that's even possible without booting) because I have no XP disk, and downloading I will not do. If anyone here can help me out please do, I don't want this laptop to become a paperweight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:52 PM

boot from live cd, in terminal type grub
type find /boot/grub/stage1
should receive answer like (hda0,1)
type root (hda0,1) or whatever you found on last line
type setup (hd0,1)
type quit
reboot.

edit sorry about that just saw the no CD thing. you must have installed across a network. you may have to tell BIOS you want to boot from USB for that to work.

Edited by caperdog, 03 February 2009 - 04:25 PM.

#3 EvanMiller864

EvanMiller864
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

EDIT: Just realized it can't boot from USB :thumbsup: And from Googling, I learned that it has been trying to boot from the network even though I never told it to, so that brought up a new solution, but I can't for the life of me figure how to run TFTP32, so that's out of the question as well. It seems my only choice now is to bum a floppy from a friend and try to get either a Linux kernel on it, or at least GParted so I can edit the partitions and fix my problem. If anyone else has a suggestion or can help me, PLEASE, don't hesitate to do so. Thanks.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

boy you got your work cut out for you.
i would be looking for an external USB cd drive to make my life easier, but
since the ubuntu install is iffy
you can apparently use floppies to boot XP that contain the recovery console
http://commandwindows.com/recovery.htm

in console (if you ever get there) run fixmbr

there are also ways to make boot disk containing grub http://orgs.man.ac.uk/documentation/grub/grub_3.html
good luck with that one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users