Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Applications Opening as Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fortknox

Fortknox

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

Hi, I need someone to help me solve a probable infection on my Dell Laptop, I use Vista 32 bits, IE 7.
I noticed this evening that all my applications have changed their icon to that of a media file in the quick launch section, even my Norton 360's application icon has changed to that of a media file too. I have malwarebyte installed on my system, did a quick scan and the result shows that no malware was found.
I tried running an online scan using F-secure but after the intitial download is over, a pop up screen open up saying it wants to run the application using Windows media Player "Allow or Deny", whatever option is chosen, the application stops running.
I tried doing a system restore too, its also opening as a media file.
Please help!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wordfanne

wordfanne

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

you probably have unknowingly changed file associations. right click on one of the wrongly-iconed programs and select open folder; highlight the .exe, and in the open menu option (above), select the correct program (the original app) to open it. happens to me more than i care to admit.

#3 Fortknox

Fortknox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:28 PM

you probably have unknowingly changed file associations. right click on one of the wrongly-iconed programs and select open folder; highlight the .exe, and in the open menu option (above), select the correct program (the original app) to open it. happens to me more than i care to admit.

Its not working, right clicking the application icon to open launches windows Media Player with the error message "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users