Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

microsoft

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dirtmover69

dirtmover69

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

I have 3 pc's running xp home ,they are proprietary .When windex crashed I called the makers to get install disks ,they all said to buy NEW os .When I called microsoft($60) charge for help they say there is an agreement with the manufacturers ,they are supposed to supply you with os start up disk but none will.Should I just scrap them all and stick with my trusted MAC or is there some way to reinstall without the disk???The recovery disks dont work for any of them.MPC,HP,Compaq all say this..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

If you only use your computer for Internet browsing, e-mail, and some office work (Word, Spreadsheet, and Presentation), you may want to try Ubuntu 8.10 (32 or 64 bit):
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Ubuntu is free and works fine for the above tasks. I just tried the 64 bit version. But I have a lot of programs in Windows XP Pro that I want to use, so I mostly use XP Pro.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

Am I understanding...that you failed to contact the makers of the PCs...the personnel responsible for issuing/selling recovery disks?

Microsoft personnel informed you correctly...the company that manufactured the system...is responsible for providing you the means to reinstall/repair...not Microsoft.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users