Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Various problems, various security programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

I have had a lot of intermittent problems off and on since October 15, increasing after November 4 (the night of the U.S. elections). Problems subsided for a while, but have increased over the past few weeks.

I assumed some of the problems were due to program incompatibilities plus temporary glitches. I have had some registry problems, which were cleaned up for a while, but after I downloaded superantispywareblaster a few days ago, my secunia was disabled, but not removed. Super also has some apparent incompatibilities with Avira Free, as I think it disabled some of the cookies (some of which have disappeared). My icons and type font, plus various other items have changed from time to time, and I think some of my programs now have a more primitive appearance. When I use Microsoft update from Firefox, I sometimes get messages, like to IE7, need to update to IE5 or higher, or my scans show that I have IE5 on Firefox! Have tried various things to improve update, like re-signing up with MS Live. Had a little success, but not all the downloads register. The security patch downloads show up in my computer, but update keeps trying to install them and will cycle endlessly after turning off the computer.

My Avira Free had been acting strangely, with the icons disappearing. That issue seems to be resolved with icons on system tray reset. I disabled the windows firewall security alert, which had been listed as the avira firewall icon in my desktop icon list. But I have had problems with reports and with scans freezing, also scans not registering. That was when I reinstalled the second time. Reports still acting strangely.

I have uninstalled spybot s&d, but the uninstall notice said there would be remnants in my computer. Don't know how to uninstall them.

I run scans with malwarebytes and superspywareblaster a couple times a week, plus do rootkits with Avira. Only trivial infections have shown up, and most infections seem to be cookie incompatibility problems.

I did try the two scans recommended by Harry Waldron for DNS changer. The conficker one didn't work too well the first time, worked a bit better the second, but returned "no infection" instead of a number value. Same thing with the downadup.

I don't know if the changes in appearance and registries are due to DNS changer or to other problems. I show that 2003 office has been installed, but it is not always accepted as properly registered to me.

I have also had two flashes of light on my screen, my power light running in amber rather than green the last couple days, my tower occasionally making grinding noises like it is laboring, problems with very long-time loading from time to time and on several different occasions I would click on the tabs in my firefox to close them, the x would disappear, and the corner square in the tab would look like a black hole. Sometimes the start button stays depressed for a long time, a security scan will freeze on an item for a long time or stop entirely, etc.

I know this is way too much information, but I have not seen any case which looks a whole lot like mine for the big picture. If you think it would be more useful for me to do this by a blog, I will do that. I also have some notes as to what items my scans froze on, but I wasn't always in the room.

I would like to clean up my computer so i clean up the mailbox on my computer and change my ISP! I can't access it now, but I think that is probably for benign reasons. Also, if you think of issues I should take to microsoft or windows live, could you frame them for me, and I will get back to you with the results.

This is really, really long, sorry! But I have tried to resolve what issues I could on my own and to gather information which I have not been getting from scans. any help would be appreciated. I know you are swamped right now, you can take 4 days to get back to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:34 AM

I don't know if any of the techies messaged me or not; received several "corrupted" mail messages or "messages no longer available" in my webmail. I did receive a message purporting to be from Budapest of BC but seeming more like a scam claiming to be from a London, U.K. barrister (previewed through my webmail). The e-mail service was listed as hotmail, which I signed up with recently but have no contacts listed there or in windows messenger live.

Some problems seem to be resolved, at least temporarily. Could someone give me a list to consult, or tutorials to go to, and in which order? I believe this is the 5th day since I first posted.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

my power light running in amber rather than green the last couple days, my tower occasionally making grinding noises like it is laboring, problems with very long-time loading from time to time and on several different occasions

Without taking the side off to pinpoint the noise better, I would suspect a failing hard drive
You can run chkdsk or better yet would be to go to the manufacturer of the hard drive and download the diagnostic utility for their product
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

Thank you, that's a start.

#5 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:55 AM

I was finally able to use chkdsk function, having found this post helpful: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1124866

Had some trouble, though, as menu options and button titles were somewhat different and not always located where expected. Ran scan, took a while to figure out how to view event logs, and finally did a system restore to where I was on XP3 instead of XP. Some security patches, etc., were re-installed.

What is really strange is that some vital files had been relocated to discs/drives D and E. Including my attempt to add my name as an administrator. My ethernet is being recognized again.

If I move the add administrator option to the proper folder in C drive, would that help with my download installation problems? i was still having problems with that famous security patch being downloaded then, which is why I wanted to add/change the administrator. I was listed as owner, but apparently the added administrator options weren't working. This has also affected my ability to get updates from my ISP and to clear up my desktop mail storage problems. (It was my ISP who alerted me to the administrator problem some months ago, and one fellow did do a download, which was not visible to me for months, so I couldn't use the features--they wouldn't all work.)

I will research the administrator options, which will also clean up the name for my computer problem.

So some of my problems have been solved, but I will have to backtrack, being hopefully wiser. (I know I'm older!) :flowers: : a little technical knowledge is a very dangerous thing.

:thumbsup: Thanks to you for your patience and your help! By the way, I have 84% space available on my c drive. Don't know what will happen after I move over the other files. . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users