Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse incompatible with router, geez...is that possible?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Boardwalkgirl

Boardwalkgirl

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

Problem with wireless mouse:
Cursor slows down to a crawl, I have to push and pull it a bunch of times just to get it to move across the monitor. Problem is intermittant. Sometimes it dies and stays dead for 10 or 15 minutes at a time before it unfreezes and acts like a normal cursor, zipping and flying around again at the speed of sound. In dysfunctional mode, when it slows waaaaaaaay down to a crawl, right clicking and left clicking when the situation calls for it does nothing, nada, zero! And yes, the batteries are fine.

What Logitech the manufacturer of the mouse says:
Logitech says I might need to place the router as far away as possible from the mouse. Does that sound right, or are they off their rocker? Right now I have the router placed behind the monitor, about two and a half feet away from the mouse. Logitech says the farther away the better, 10 feet and more if possible, it's all about keeping them seperated, so says Logitech.

Does it make sense that a router needs to be kept away from a wireless mouse in order for the mouse to work properly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

Absolutely.

Any way you can switch channels on your router to maybe cut down interference? I know on some you can choose different frequencies/channels in case of interference (especially with older cordless phones).

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Boardwalkgirl

Boardwalkgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

Absolutely.

Any way you can switch channels on your router to maybe cut down interference? I know on some you can choose different frequencies/channels in case of interference (especially with older cordless phones).

I'll have to check to see if I can switch channels. Even if I can, stopping in the middle of work and switching channels every so often during the day/week/month won't fly with me. I'll just take the Belkin router back to Costco and get my money back. I can live without a Belkin router but I won't live without a wireless mouse.

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

Yeah, it's pretty common that peripheral devices and routers (anything that emits a signal of any kind basically) can run interference with a wireless mouse or keyboard. Chances are that whatever router your get might cause the problem again. Is it a low end mouse or high end? (Model?)
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#5 Boardwalkgirl

Boardwalkgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

It's the Logitech MX600 combo wireless mouse/keyboard.

#6 Widdybear77

Widdybear77

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:13 AM

Had similar problems and went with Linksys Router. Nothing interferes with it except Majicjack slows download speeds sometimes. Depends on time of day..... :thumbsup:

#7 Boardwalkgirl

Boardwalkgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:46 PM

Update: the cure was to simply reposition the Logitech antenna. The antenna is connected to a cable, about a 4 foot long cable, approximately. Sometimes I have to lay the cable/antenna down on the floor which is okay as it's out of sight, out of mind down there on the floor back behind a Z-5500 sub-woofer. Other times I have to run it up the wall, which is okay cause that's where my bookshelf is. Hope this helps others in the same boat.

Edited by Boardwalkgirl, 10 March 2010 - 09:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users