Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will my deepest secrets be revealled?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 juicerelus

juicerelus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hi People, I need some help :thumbsup:

When I copy and paste files from my laptop to my external hard drive, will any details of the files I have deleted from my computer in the past, or any details of my internet browsing history be transferred at same time?

The files I want to copy to the external hard drive are things like picture/music/movie/word files.

But I'm a bit scared (perhaps paranoid) that the things I have deleted (which I know are still lurking on my computer without me seeing them), or traces of the various sites I have visited, will be moved across in secret without my knowledge and be on the external hard drive. Detectable by clever people with big brains. Is this at all possible?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssee help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

I'm wondering if running CCleaner on your computer prior to sending data over to the external drive would solve your paranoia. I'm not sure that you'd believe us even if someone tells you without a shadow of a doubt that you're in the clear. I'd do it anyway, run CCleaner. Just make sure to check the settings of what you're deleting so as not to remove any of the files and info you need to keep.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

When you Copy/Paste to the external drive, the only thing that will be transfered, is what you Copy/Paste.
Nothing else, will "sneak" over. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users