Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HOW DO YOU DEFRAGMENT THE DISK?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mosman

mosman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

my computer is running very slow, and i was advised to defragment the disk but i don't know how to. so i would appreciate some help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Go to Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Defrag
Please post back if we found the solution

#3 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

Go to Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Defrag

Or click on start>Control panel>Performance and Maintenance>Rearrange items on your hard disk to make programs run faster>click on analyse, and you should be advised if or not you need to derangement this volume, > then it's up to you. :thumbsup:

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

Hello mosman and welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

As karbo1 and The weatherman already mentioned you can defrag your computer using the Windows Defragger. However, I personally don't really like the Windows built in one because it's not really that good at defraging some files. Overall it does an okay job and get's most files defragged but I didn't find gaining much system performances on it and when I used a different defragger it helped defrag alot more files that windows built-in one couldn't. It's still not a bad defragger but you probably can download a free and better one.

With that said, you can download a defragger tool and use that. The ones I use to defrag my system once a month or twice a month is Auslogics Disk Defrag by Auslogics.

It takes less than 5 minutes to defrag your system. If your have more than one drive meaning if it's partitioned, like mine then you will need to do them one at a time. I really like it, and there's another tool that is good at defragging specific files and folders on your system which also does a good job, but it takes longer. It's a very small file and you can even carry it on a flash-drive, it's called Defraggler by Piriform :flowers:

Defraggler Home Page.

Also defragging your system doesn't alway help increase system performance, sometimes there are some other things you need to take care of as well. These include: disabling startups or services, temporarily internet files etc... Some helpful tips on slow computer can be found over here.

Go to Start>>Run>> Type in Cleanmgr

This tool in windows can help you compress old files, delete temporarily internet files and many more.

Hope that helps.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 sweaden

sweaden

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:27 AM

my computer is running very slow, and i was advised to defragment the disk but i don't know how to. so i would appreciate some help.

Prior to defrag you can run a diskcleanup , access it from Start>Accessories>Systemtools>Diskcleanup and clean out unwanted stuff.
The Windows defragger requires atleast 15% free space for an efficient defrag.
You can access defrag from Start>Accessories>Systemtools>Disk defragmenter.
Ideally shut down all other programs while defragging to avoid interruption and also ensure there is no power outage during the process.

Also note that if you are running Vista, you will not be able to see the visual display of the defrag progress as in XP. Vista's defragger is designed to defrag in low priority in the background. I personally think that the built in defragmenter is way too slow and if you are running it for the first time, it may take very long.

If you are open to third party programs, my fave is Diskeeper. Defrags automatically, even under 15% free space and runs smoothly in the background even as you use the PC. There is a free 30 day trial version, after which you need to pay.

#6 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:36 AM

O&O Defrag Pro is one of the best out there but you have to buy it.

#7 speedbird76

speedbird76

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

I use Diskeeper 2009 Pro for defragging. It's an awesome automatic background defragmenter that removes the need for manual defrag. But it too is not free- you have to buy it, but you can use the free trial versions from the diskeeper site for a limited period.

#8 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

I use PCMag.com's utility Defrag-A-File. It can defrag just the fragmented files or defrag free space. I found it superior to Windows defragmenter, which seems to unnecessarily move everything. I used Windows defragmenter regularly on my HP notebook before, and it significantly shortened the life of the hard drive.

For an annual subscription fee of about $20, you can download several useful tools from PCMag.com. In addition to Defrag-A-File, I also use the File Utility Pack, which can (1) grab a list of filenames from Explorer to print, copy and export, (2) Change file dates and times, and (3) easily batch rename files. Windows internal clock is kind of a mess when it changes from standard time to summer time and vice versa. A file on your hard drive will be one hour different from the same file on an external drive (like a jump drive). It also has many other utilities that you may find useful, e.g., NoteWhen 3 (to arrange all your stick-it notes on screen), StartEase 2.

Edited by czhang, 04 February 2009 - 10:18 AM.

#9 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:52 PM

Try Smart Defrag by iOrbit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users