Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering old hardrive to new computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blackhole

blackhole

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:02 PM

I've had some very bad luck: My Hp pavilion windows xp got zapped by lightening ( :thumbsup: ) and it killed the motherboard. So I got a new hardrive (a crappy emachine windows xp HE) and put the old hardrive into the new one. I now have all of my important documents, favorites etc. But I had some important email address on Outlook Express (I'm now convinced its the most cumbersome email program ever made) and I can't recover the address book. I've tried to import the files from the the old hard drive disk drive. I've searched and come up with nothing. Does any one have any suggestions. I probably didn't do the transfer right, theres probably a better and easier way to have done it. Idk.

I am sooo not tech savvy, but I'm trying :flowers:

Mod Edit - Moved to a more appropriate forum - Leurgy

Edited by Leurgy, 29 May 2005 - 02:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:36 PM

Search the old Hard Drive for addrbook.wab. Thats the Outlook Express address book. You can copy that file and paste it somewhere on your C: drive. Double click on it and it will open.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 blackhole

blackhole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:47 PM

eh, didn't work, are you sure thats the right name?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

If your old hard drive is the D: drive now, look in D:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book. You can import it from there and it will merge with your current one or you can open it. You may have to show your hidden files. To do that:

Windows XP

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:

Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
Double-click on the My Computer icon.
Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
After the new window appears select the View tab.
Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 blackhole

blackhole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:10 AM

I replied too quickly last night... I found the address book I had just forgoten to check the box "search for hidden files". Sigh...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users