Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Browser Hijack


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Graeb_*

Guest_Graeb_*

  • Guests
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

My homepage in both IE7 and Firefox was changed from www.google.com to www.google.es. In IE7 under Tools>Internet Options>General, the homepage is set to www.google.com. The Google page is in Spanish. I was able to make a couple of "lucky guess" changes in Google preferences to get an English display but the homepage still resolved to www.google.es. Then I noticed a link on the Google page in the 2nd line under the search window that read "Go to Google.com". Clicking this link took me to www.google.com. That link was replaced with "Go to Google Expana". I have a home network with 4 desktops and a tablet. The hijack affected all 5 PCs. In fact, it made the same change on my son's iPod Touch.

I have run the following with nothing found: Microsoft Live OneCare, Norton's Symantec, Spybot S&D, Hijack This. This was my first run of Hijack This and have only saved the results and reviewed them myself for anything suspicious. I did run one other download (of which I unfortunately lost track) which listed an instance of Trojan.cws.

What should I do from here?

Regards,

Graeb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Guest_Graeb_*

Guest_Graeb_*

  • Guests
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

Well, I think I solved the problem.

Google uses your IP address which they assume "is frequently the Internet address of your Internet Service Provider (ISP)" to redirect users to Google search for the country they have assumed you are in. So, I guess, if they decide that your IP address is in, say Spain, they redirect your google web page to resolve at www.google.es.

Google describes their policy at this link:

http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bi..._noredirect_873

With this post, I am closing this request for help.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users