Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching from Norton.....to what?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ohsusana

ohsusana

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

So, I have become disenchanted with Norton Internet Security. I have been examining products from other companies, including AVG, avast!, Kapersky, ZoneAlarm and Trend Micro. AVG and avast! are in the 'lead' position for now.

My current plan is to replace Norton with another 'security suite' product, perhaps adding a separate firewall product (if so, disabling the firewall in the 'suite' product), and to keep at least two of my existing anti-malware products for 'on-demand' use (SpyBot and MalwareBytes are my favourites, but I may keep Ad-Aware, too....*shrug*....all depends on how this turns out).

I would like to have products that are mainstream-user friendly, and designed neither for technical professionals nor for complete idiots :thumbsup: .

I have always kept Sypbot's Tea-timer enabled, and used it's immunization feature. I'd like to continue that, but again, I suppose it all dependss on what I end up with for a new main program.

I gladly invite you to share your experiences and/or observations, the good, the bad, and the indifferent, with any of the above company's products, and especially with AVG, avast! and ZoneAlarm.

Thanks for your time!

Susan
HP Compaq Presario, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.20 GHz, Hard Drive=200g, RAM=3g, NVidia GEForce 8600 GTS, Linksys Etherfast Cable Router, Windows XP Pro (Media Center Edition) SPK 3, Internet Explorer 6, Firefox 3, Safari, Outlook, Outlook Express, Norton Internet Security 2009 (but not for much longer), SbyBot S&D, MalwareBytes, Ad-Aware AE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hi Susan,

For a complete and free solution have a look here:
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

You would no longer need teatimer as the Defence+ HIPS is the first line of protection and the firewall is the best available.

The antivirus is new but developing fast, there is a major update to that due in about a week from now, when heuristics will be added. Many of us are testing that now with no problems and very few popups.

I believe that the days of paid for security programs are about to become history.
James

#3 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

Hi Susan,

Avast has never let me Down, and I'm a complete idiot. :flowers: If your interested take a look here. :thumbsup:

#4 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

I agree with the w-man. I've been using Avast 4.8 Home for a year with no problems. XP MCE SP3 is my setup and works great. If you go with avast download and read the user pdf from avast, there is a lot of info in it. Some people complain about not being able to set up a scan, I think it goes one better. You can set it up to scan every time your screensaver comes on and with looping it scans again and again.

#5 ohsusana

ohsusana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the good words on avast! -- the link was helpful, too. It was a good indicator of what the user interface was like.

Anybody use a separate firewall program while using avast!?
HP Compaq Presario, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.20 GHz, Hard Drive=200g, RAM=3g, NVidia GEForce 8600 GTS, Linksys Etherfast Cable Router, Windows XP Pro (Media Center Edition) SPK 3, Internet Explorer 6, Firefox 3, Safari, Outlook, Outlook Express, Norton Internet Security 2009 (but not for much longer), SbyBot S&D, MalwareBytes, Ad-Aware AE.

#6 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

I used Avast until about 2 years ago and unless it has changed a lot it is only an antivirus, so yes you will need to use a firewall together with other programs to replace a security suite. Zone Alarm never worked for me, giving bsods every time it updated, but it has many satisfied users.
James

#7 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

Take a look here ohsusana, I would it's up to you though. :thumbsup:

#8 ohsusana

ohsusana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

Thanks!

I am good with the need to use one.....I guess I should have been more specific :thumbsup: .

OK, so....what firewalls are folks using with their avast! products?

I am considering ZoneAlarm......?

#9 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

I am no expert with computers, after using Norton products that had firewalls built in I've tried afew since last spring when I said by to Norton. Using all free firewalls I first tried Agnitum Outpost Free, it seemed like a strong one but I never got the configuration right and could not connect to the internet with it. Went with Tall Emu On Line Armor Free next, always wanted me to allow everything two or three times even when I said remember this. I'm currently using Filseclab Firewall also free, it configured easily remembers all decisions wants direction once in awhile when something new to it updates from my programs but
I have never checked it for leaks and it has not proformed well in comparison tests. Maybe PC Tools updated free Firewll next.

#10 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:57 AM

Take a look here ohsusana, I would it's up to you though. :thumbsup:

This tutorial appears to be somewhat out of date, as the best of the free firewalls are not even mentioned. I should be interested to know when this tutorial was written, as progress is very fast in modern firewall development.

Maybe the following test results would help, although some products have already been updated:
http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-...nge/results.php
James

#11 SummeSLV

SummeSLV

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

I prefer Kaspersky.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic