Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Security

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom2

Tom2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:29 PM

I have a wireless hp Pavillion laptop with a built-in Broadcom network adaptor. I have a Belkin wireless router/modem. I can connect to the router with ethernet cable (what i'm doing now) and I can connect to it wirelessly as long as i dont use the WPA security.
When I configure the WPA-PSK security thing on the laptop and the router I can't connect to my network. In 'View Available Networks' I can locate my network and it is shown as being WPA protected - I just can't connect to it.

My laptop operates WindowsXP Home and has the latest updates. I have downloaded the latest update for the network adaptor.

Any ideas what i've done wrong ?

Mod Edit - Moved to the appropriate forum - Leurgy

Edited by Leurgy, 29 May 2005 - 01:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:32 PM

Are you specifically wishing to use the WPA-PSK security or would standard WEP satisfy? I don't know for sure in your instance but I think it's possible that certain wireless adapters cannot work with WPA.

As for WEP, just be sure that when you configure it on the router you use the same encryption key when connecting the laptop.

#3 Tom2

Tom2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:32 PM

I was hoping to use WPA because I am advised that it is significantly more secure than WEP.
I'm pretty sure that the network adaptor will support WPA - I downloaded the latest update and it said that it supported it.
Likewise, i have the latest windows XP updates.

I am trying set up/configure the laptop using Windows. Someone suggested that there might be a conflict between the windows software and the network adaptor software.
Could this be the problem ? If so, do you know how I would check it ? and how would i solve it !

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:03 PM

Overview of the WPA wireless security update in Windows XP

Tom, have a look at the link above. I'll be honest, I am not completely understanding it all myself (I use WEP, not WPA) but I think the advice you got is valid. That being, a need to differentiate between what the Windows OS handles and the adapter's proprietary software. Pay particular attention to the section about 'changes required to support WPA'; I think the eventual solution is in there. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Last thing to add; I have experimented around with my wireless adapter in the past and iirc, at first Windows (XP sp2) was in control of it and then I installed or reinstalled the adapter-specific software (not just the driver) and was prompted to give over control of the device to it from windows. What I'm getting at is that just because you have installed the latest updates to your adapter doesn't mean you are utilizing the 'applet' that goes along with it.

#5 Tom2

Tom2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:54 AM

i've been trying to solve this problem via the tech support at HP. that failed so i'm back again.

regarding handing over control from windows .... if I uncheck the box 'Use Windows to configure my wireless networks' the connection is not made. I am assuming therefore that the broadcom software isnt going to make the connection automatically and I have way of know how to activate it manually.

can explain further about the network adaptor and its software. I'm not techy and I have no idea what an 'applet' is !

Incidentally I get an error message if i click on the 'repair' button in 'wireless network connections' - it says "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed : Disabling the network adaptor. Make sure your network adaptor is properly installed."

How do I check that my network adaptor is properly installed ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users