Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

some kind of infection/ file system lock?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zipakna

zipakna

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

im sure i am infected but cannot identify it.
symtoms;
i cannot install MBAM, i double click the install, hour glass comes but doesnt actually run.

i can and have installed Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.4. when attempting to run a full scan, it will scan the memory (active scan) but when it gets to actually doing a full scan on the Hard drive (C:) it stops and goes to "completed"

a check disk for my computer comes back with "check dissk was unable to start" but no option to schedule. same thing happens in safe mode
a check disk from the command prompt will not schedule.

i have removed the HDD and done a virus scan and a MBAM scan from another computer, that is with the hard drive connected to another computer but not booted from THAT hard drive. and have cleaned out many viuses this way but still something is in there

also SpybotSD will install, if you attempt to run it it shows in the Task manager/processes but does not appear
combofix will not install.

any ideas. is this a residual registry entry somewere.

i have also atered the registry to allow installs during save mode and still cannot install MBAM
and still no check disk will run or schedule even from safe mode

thanks

jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:41 PM

If mbam won't install

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 zipakna

zipakna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

thanks, i read in another post to try that.
ive have done that and managed to install MBAM by renaming it to a CMD file as well as the application run file to a CMD file.
i have run mbam and found a few items in the registry and removed them. also i have completed a full MBAM scan

but the main problem is still the fact that other things cannot run like the antivirus.
anytime i try to scan the C; drive it pauses than says its completed after a few seconds.

likewise when i attempt to run a check disk by going to mycomputer right click the C: drive select properties /tools and check now with automatically fix file system errors, it comes back right away and says "windows was unable to complete the disk check" and no option to schedule.

#4 zipakna

zipakna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

got it.
again i followed another post to something that sounded remotely similar to where people were having problems installing or running AV.
i installed the Superantispyware and it found Rootkit/UACGen (i think thats how it was spelled)

after removong that i go scared because the system rebooted twice and Bluescreened twice. after the third boot. it came back up and instantly the antivirus started detectic other viruses and i was able to schedule a Chkdsk.
now the antivirus is doing a full scan of the hard drive.

thanks anyways all

Edited by zipakna, 03 February 2009 - 06:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users