Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep dropping Internet connection?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jmy2469

jmy2469

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

I use a D-Link DGL-4300 router and have a desktop upstairs,desktop in the basement,along with a Sony PS3 and Xbox 360. Optimum Online is my ISP and I have a Surfboard 4200 cable modem. The other day I lost my internet connection and have not been able to get things back online. I have unplugged the power to the cable modem,shut down my PC,then plug the power back on the cable modem. It cycles through power light,receive light,and send light are all solid green,when it come down to the online light,it just keeps on flashing. I was able yesterday to get it connected,but lost the connection once again. It's ben driving me crazy and I do not know what to check next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

First, because it is not mentioned in your post, are you disconnecting power to the router also? You would reconnect the modem, wait till everything lights up, then repower the router and let that cycle up.

If when the router is disconnected you are still getting the online light flashing, there are a few possibilities, your modem is borked, or your Internet connection is. I would contact your ISP first, as they may need to send a signal to reinitialize the modem, or reregister the MAC address.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#3 jmy2469

jmy2469
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

I am also cutting the power to the router.

#4 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

Ok, with nothing connected to the modem after a power reset, all lights down to and including "Online" should be lit. When the Online light is not lit, that means that for some reason the modem is not able to get an IP address from the ISP. I have had a modem just go bad and need replacing after about five years (similar model actually, but without the USB port - 4100 I think). I have also heard of screwups at the ISP knocking modems offline, and even certain malicious attacks (MAC address cloning for example) that could cause this. Either way, you would need to check with the ISP. They should be able to remotely check the status of the modem and see why it is not getting an IP address.

#5 jmy2469

jmy2469
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:19 AM

I was able to get connected,but sometimes lose the connection.
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium,I am getting the following message.
Cannot communicate with Primary DNS server?

#6 jmy2469

jmy2469
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

I was able to get a connectin yesterday,but in the middle of doing some work,it dropped again.
I clicked to fix the error and it showed me the following message.
Cannot communcate with primary DNS server?
Any idea on how I can fix this? Thanks for all the help.

#7 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

First, contact your ISP and have them confirm that the DNS servers you have selected are correct. Based on your stated configuration, your computer should be set up to obtain an IP address and DNS server information automatically (from the router, in other words). The settings on the router need to be correct. If they aren't, it is possible that when visiting a site for the first time the DNS lookup fails, knocking you offline. However, this is only if the problem is limited to DNS. The DNS issue could only be a symptom. If at the same time your "online" light on the modem is blinking, you are actually offline.

#8 jmy2469

jmy2469
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

All the lights on the modem are solid. None are blinking.

#9 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Ok, the next step would be to try using OpenDNS (https://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/start). This will tell us if the problem is with the DNS servers provided by your ISP, or if the problem is somewhere on your network. If you don't have any problems when using the OpenDNS system, that would indicate something is wrong with the DNS addresses your service provider is giving you. If the problems continue, though, there may be an issue with DNS traffic being filtered/corrupted/etc internally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users