Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows - No Disk error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

Not sure this is the best place for this post, since it seems to touch on several topic areas. Perhaps Moderators will move it to the right place:

I'm running XP Pro SP3 and Office 2003. I have Outlook set to auto backup the PST file every day to my external Western Digital 80GB hard drive (J:). This has worked perfectly until this week - suddenly the WD drive became K: (instead of J:). So, the Outlook backup wouldn't recognize it. No problem, I thought, I'll just change the backup options to the correct drive letter (now K:). But, when it attempts the back up, I get two errors:

1) Insert disk in drive J:/ and options to retry, cancel or continue.
2) Windows - No Disk Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf7c 4 75b6bf7c 75b6bf7c

I can access the WD external in My Computer on Drive K: and all signs show that it's working fine. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting.

Any ideas? I REALLY need to back up my PST file - I've had bad experiences with losing everything there and I'm starting to worry.

Many thanks,
Kara

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:32 PM

I'm not sure, but.. Did you try to hook up another external drive? If you did, did your computer see it as J: or as K: drive?
How about drive space? You have enough free space for system restore? (about 12% for large drives) I know system restore looks for available space at C: drive, but it also creates restore points for (and on) each drive on your putter by default. It doesn't really matter if they are separate drives, external drives or drives that you created on separate partitions.
On other hand, I have LaCie external drive and time ago for some reason he switched himself off and was invisible to system. After power up everything was fine. So maybe you can try to power on/off external disk instead of unplugging usb cable.

Edited by Notorious, 03 February 2009 - 12:41 PM.

Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

FWIW: http://www.consumingexperience.com/2007/11...processing.html

Louis

#4 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

I actually found a solution that was a combination of the fixes suggested by contacting Western Digital.

Somehow, it seems that a QuickTime update caused my computer to recognize the bank of card readers in my HP printer as an actual drive and assign it the letter J:/, bumping the external drive to K:/.

I first uninstalled QuickTime and then followed the directions from WD Support to rename the drive letters using roughly the same instructions as http://www.consumingexperience.com/2007/11...processing.html.

I then named the card readers on the printer P:/ and changed my WD hard drive back to J:/

So far so good! Backup worked fine. I'm running Norton Internet Security 2009, and I show now signs of a malware infection, although I know no solution is foolproof. I'm pretty sure it was that QuickTime update.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

Yes, that link looked like a good possibility of an answer that would work...glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

Thanks much! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users