Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking why PC restarts?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bobo81

bobo81

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

Hi guys,

My PC has restarted twice in the last month and I am not sure why.

Is there a way to see why it restarted? I checked event viewer and that did not help at all.

I do not know if its someone in the house doing it or if there is something wrong inside.

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

If someone in the house isn't shutting it off and the computer is shutting itself off you should be able to see an error in the Event Viewer. Errors will appear as a red dot with a white X inside.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

You might want to Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm , helps to get an error message.

Louis

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

Are you sure it's not a temporary power outage?
I keep an electric clock (without a battery) on my main line that will reset on the slightest outage.
Then I can count back to when a power outage occurred.
I also run my systems with a battery back up that precludes power outage shut downs (for the most part).
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

If you have automatic updates turned on, your computer may reboot after updating. It will do this automatically if you dont respond to the message that asks you to restart in 5 minutes. You can check on the microsoft-update site under history on what date updates were installed. Maybe you can check this with the dates of the auto-restart of your computer.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 bobo81

bobo81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

Thanx guys your posts are Gold...

Actually it happened twice when I was gone to work. There are no red X's in the event viewer but I can tell when the PC restarted because it shows which apps are starting on start up.

No there was no power outage and I have auto updates off. I will definitely try to disable auto boot though.

If I know anything else I will post back here.

#7 bobo81

bobo81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:08 AM

**SOLVED**

I JUST got confirmation that our power has been going off in the mornings... :thumbsup:

Anyways I guess that solves that...I also thought it might be because my processor was overheating but eh guess not!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users